Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 84' Turbo GT which I need help/advice with. A day or 2 ago I noticed that my car wasn't running like it used to. It lacked power, was consuming about 2 to 3 times the normal amount of fuel, and it kept dying at idle. Yesterday I noticed the "Turbo ON" light would almost always be on but the power was not there. Finally the turbo started making loud noises which was followed by none at all, then when I was pulling in to my neighborhood, it sounded like I heard chunks flying out the exhaust pipe. Upon opening the hood I noticed part of the exhaust manifold was glowing red hot and it had a huge crack in it. The engine would still start but oil smoke would come out the manifold/wastegate so it was immediately shut down. :sosad:
Has this happened to anyone before? What do you think the problem is? Do you think it might have been a computer problem which triggered this chain of events? Or is this how a turbo goes out?
Any help would be MUCH appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
69 Posts
Wow!!! Sorry bout your luck man... Did you know whether the WG Actuator was working correctly while driving? your turbo may have been over spooling due to the WGA Diaphragm may have been torn causing the WG to be moreso closed than it should.

If this is the case... and your turbo made noise... then stopped making the noise? you may have chucked the turbo.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm trying to make my car driveable again and need some help.
Will a a/r .60/.63 turbo work on my 84'? Or does it have to be the .48/.60? BTW, what does a/r mean? I am still learning about turbos so I'm kinda a newb at this. When I get a replacement turbo should I change the wastegate actuator? Where do you buy them?

Any suggestions are helpful!!!!
Thanks for the assistance!
:drink:

·
Registered
69 Posts
that turbo will work fine on you car... it may make it a touch more laggy... but in the end... my goal is a .60/.63. It supposed to give a more solid boost delivery... due to the bigger tubine side.

A/R has to do with the ratios bettween the cold side and hot side of the turbo... or something like that to my understanding.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.