Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine installed a set of 6X8 speakers into the rear deck of my 98 GT and wired the high pass amp to the tweeter and the mid range amp to the woofer. Everything was cool but after an hour it smelled like plastic was burning and all my speakers started distorting and then finally cut out. I have checked all the fuses, and everything is fine. The radio seems to work but no amps kick on and there is no volume. Are my amps blown front, 2 rear, or is it my head unit??? Any help would be appreciated because no stereo is killing me!!! Thanks.:mad:

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Probably melted the wires going to the speakers, which would probably kill the amps. Hope that I am wrong, Dave

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you more than likely smoked your amps when you bi-wired the new speakers. by doing this you dropped the mach systems impedence load below 4 ohms. the factory amps in your car cant take this for long and eventually burned up.the mach system is an awsome factory sytem. never try to improve it it cant get any better because every component in the system is designed to work together. by replacing parts of the system and not all of the system you will only make it worse. if you intend on running the factory system the only piece you should ever swap is the head unit. if you want it to sound any better you will need new speakers and an amp to run them and also a sub.
clint

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well it turns out I did blow all three amps in the mach 460. I replaced all three from ebay, and everythihng is back to normal. my hands are stll cut to hell from replacing that front amp. What a pain!!! Anyway thanks for your help.:smoke:

·
Registered
169 Posts
You could upgrade by adding some sub(s)...you would have to install a line out convertor. Also you can change the speakers...but like some one else posted early you must keep you ohm load correct (4 ohm). Most aftermarket replacements are 4 ohm. But the way you wired the rear ones smoked your amps...as you found out the hard way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.