Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I had a pair of subwoofers wired recently which the install shop connected using the RCAs against my request due to one being bent and not reaching the board. They put a hi-lo adaptor in which converts the signal to RCA. The in for the adaptor is four wires, which are connected to the two wires running from the head unit. It says which are the + and - for the hi-Z before conversion to low-Z (RCA). If I cut the four wires that go into the hi-lo adaptor, can I twist together and tape the green/white, grey/white, respectively, wires that the hi level input clip uses?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Your wording confuses me so I'll just state what I know and hope it helps you.

The input of a hilo is your + and - speaker wires. 4 wire means left +, left -, right +, right -. You do not connect the + and - or you're shorting the circuit.
The output of a hilo is rcas.

If you want to remove the hilo, you'd rip it out, extend the speaker wires to the speaker-level inputs (not the preamp) of your amp. Set your amp gains correctly.

Edit: Does your amp have 4 speaker level inputs? What amp is it?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Correct, it is a four wire input. The right uses the righthand side when looking at the input from over the top of the amp (perspective of the amp), and the negative sits on top of the positive. The left is the same way - negative on the top and positive below on the left side of the square from the perspective of the amp.

The two cables coming from the head unit were connected to the hi-lo converter by four cables that went in it. They were labeled as right-left and positive-negative based on color. I matched them to the hi-level input diagram on the amp. I stripped the wires to expose plenty of wire, twisted them together, and taped them. I turned the voltage and bass boost way down and checked all my connections. When I turned on the head unit, nothing from the subs. I tried to fix something that was halfway broken and got something that totally doesn't work. :sosad:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just re-checked my wiring and it's all straight now! I must have had something connected wrong. I did the color code connections, taped each one up individually and now I'm getting full signal into my amp and it's beating the two twelves HARD! Thanks for your advice propaganda.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.