Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1993 cougar xr7 5.0 for my dd well im restoring my mustang. well i was on my way to work this morning it died as soon as i stopped at a stop sign and would not start back up its been running great lately and didnt seem any different this mornimg until it died without warning. later when i was at wwork my brother came to pick it up with the truck, and it started right up first crank. the same exact thing happened six months but its been fine since. idk what to do about it or where the problem is. i would think it is somthing electrical because it happened 6 months ago and was fine till now. if ya know anything, have any ideas or think you can help at all please let me know
thanx

·
Registered
864 Posts
did you have power to the key?i is the ground wire getting hot? check all wires to the alt., starter,batt., 1st. and how are the

·
Registered
831 Posts
Look at your negative battery cable. Inspect BOTH ends for corrosion. Replace the cable if you see a bunch of corrosion. Clean the metal where the cable mounts to the car.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It got power it cranks right over it just wont start, then like a half an hour later it starts right up and runs great. idk what to do im changing the fuel filter today to see if that helps at all. it stalled again today at the bank and sure enough 25-30 mins later it starts right up. its gotta be some kinda of sensor somewhere.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Resist the urge to start replacing parts without knowing what the problem is. This can get expensive quick and get you no closer to fixing your car.

Have you pulled codes? Might be smart. If your fuel pump has a bad ground, it could explain your symptoms.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the fuel pump comes on and works finw to day i drove it and i was doin 35 down the road and it cut out for 5 seconds or so and then came right back and ran fine. also will the car even be tripping codes if the check engine light isnt on or anything? oh and also how do you do the self test the codes? ive seen links for it on other threads but dont have it saved or anything.

·
Registered
25 Posts
throttle position sensor

I had the same problem on a 92 gt. had to glean info from this site, they are not to friendly about solutions. always fuel pump/codes and then no help. code 92 axilury fuel code . one owner car, thought why would anyone mess with the tps? one night i got volt meter out to check, 4.0 volts not good, set to .9 volts no more stalling after driving 120 miles on interstate used to leave me on the side of road and do the same thing as yours, start right up after setting for a hour

1 - 7 of 7 Posts