Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a set of aluminum heads on my 302 mustang but i have coolant in my number five and eight cylinders the cars never been started only cranked is this a intake or head gasket problem? I would hate to have to tear the head off if its only the intake. Please help!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi, Well having the 5th and 8th cyl.s with coolant it is highly possible that it is the intake since the coolant passageways in the head mate with the intake on the ends. The question though is do you have coolant in 1 and 4 since if the intake gaskets are the wrong ones coolant should be leaking on both sides. It is more likely when it is the Intake gasket, to get antifreeze in the crankcase not a cylinder. The intake has to come off anyway to get to the heads, so I would remove the intake and check the gasket to see if it mated correctly or the right one. If You don't see anything obvious there, check the head gasket by closing the valves in 5 or 8 pressurize the cylinder and check for bubbles or coolant rising in the radiator. Actually if you wanted You could do this procedure first, to see if it is the head gasket. I have found that when installing aftermarket heads always check the gasket to make sure it will seal all passageways. Some are cut different.

·
Registered
25,075 Posts
:wavey Enjoy the site!! :myhappydance: :happydancer:

·
Super Moderator
40,047 Posts
:waveyWelcome to the site:wavey

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
Hi ...welcome and enjoy the forums !

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Hiya, welcome to the site.

·
Registered
41,826 Posts
Thanks for stopping in today. Enjoy the site.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.