Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
All the wiring diagrams I have show a black/yellow wire to the fuse block to power the accessories fuse. None of them show the other side of the fuse, which on my car is a yellow/blue wire.
This wire is pulling 70 mA and is draining my battery over a few days. I have trouble shot the black/yellow wire leading to the fuse block and it tests out ok. If I pull the fuse the drain ceases. I guess I could cut the yellow/blue wire and see what doesn't work after, but I thought I would toss this out there first. Appreciate any help I can get. Thanks.

· Registered
1,565 Posts
For whatever it's worth I seem to recall reading that Ford did not always follow the color codes; if they ran out of a wire color on the production line they substituted. I also know from experience that in a car this old colors can change. What appears to be yellow/blue may actually be white/blue.

I only have the '66 wiring diagrams, but had no luck finding either color coming from the fuse box. In fact, I didn't see a yellow/blue color in any of the lists. There is a green/yellow going to the courtesy light(s).

Cutting the wire as you mention may be the only alternative, but I'd pull the fuse before cutting it.

· Registered
1,121 Posts
Maybe finding which accessory is drawing the amps and fixing that is the answer. Check for aftermarket items that may your problem. Good luck!

· Registered
7,185 Posts
Hello. :) Ditto to what Byronl said. That sounds kind of like an aftermarket radio that 'remembers' the stations. Those have a constant trickle of power going to them. But, I would definitely find out which component on that circuit had managed to turn itself into a completed circuit. :)

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for your replies. I had already taken the radio out of the picture as well as the cigarette lighter. The radio had a separate wire for the memory settings. I am at a loss for what else would be tied to the accessories fuse and would need constant voltage. The courtesy lights are on another circuit with it's own fuse. I guess I will unwrap the bundle and follow it out. I'll let you guys know what I find.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, So the wire is actually yellow/red and changes to green/red at the head light switch. It then feeds the stop/brake switch and changes to a green wire from the stop/brake switch and feeds power to the turn signals. This explains why you can turn on any of these with the engine off because there is a constant 12v feed to them through the accessories fuse. Now I just need to figure out which one is partially drawing voltage all the time. My bet is on the brake switch. More later.

· Registered
329 Posts
try unpluging the brake switch mine would when the outside temp got just right would cause my brake lights to glow with led bulbs put a volt meter on it and had all most 900 ma running though it.It would never light a 1157 bulb but sure make the led glow. looked like the sun was reflecting off the lenses.I chased that one off and on for two months it had to be just the right temp outside for it to do it

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, I was able to reduce the draw to 10 mA even with the Radio settings wire back in place. Not sure exactly what was causing the draw but I did tape off some wires in the dash that had some bare spots on them and I cleaned the connections on the brake light switch. The brake lights are much brigher now. It was a real mess in the dash and got that all cleaned up as well. I appreciate all the suggestions on here. Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.