Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to install a mechanical oil pressure and water temperature gauge in my 89 mustang. I would also like to keep stock gauges working. I checked all over and jegs seems to be about the best price. Here is my list of parts:

Autometer Cage 2 5/8"
Ultralite 2 5/8" Mechanical Oil Pressure Gauge
Ultralight 2 5/8" Mechanical Water Temperature Gauge
(2) Mechanical Gauge Braided Hose Kits part number 555-41059
T-fitting (used to keep stock sender also) part number 799-661070

Does this look like all I will need? My main concerns are

1. if a 6' line is long enough for each gauge
2. Do I relocate the stock coolant temp sensor to somewhere on the intake (and where is that) to keep the stock gauge working?
3. Is there another tap in point for the water temp gauge? What is the best way to go to keep the stock gauge working? The temp gauge install is confusing me a bit.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
That's the exact setup I have in mine. The Ultra Lites in a Gauge Cage and oil pressure/water temp gauges.

The 6' line for the oil pressure is enough, you'll probably have about a foot more than you need. Be careful with the tension connectors, it's easy to go in wrong and crimp the plastic line.

If you want to keep the stock water temp gauge working, I'd suggest getting one more thing... a Ford Racing or Mr Gasket chrome thermostat housing. Not for the chrome, but for the port on the top of the housing that'll accept the sending unit. This way you'll have the mechanical gauge and you won't have to fiddle with the stock sending unit. The chrome is an added plus.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Eagle! That would be a lot easier setup! ~ Doesn't look like Jegs carries them though so will have to get it somewhere else.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Summit carries the Mr. Gasket Thermostat Housing (part number 9713) that Eagle showed a picture of. I ordered all above from Summit instead of Jegs as it was $10 cheaper plus they had the thermostat housing.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Woohoo. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks once again Eagle!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.