Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All.

Car is a 2003 GT, basically bone stock. 58k on the Ticker. A little background:

Tires less than a year old, about 8k on the tires.

Swapped the Front Pads with Autozone Duralast about 6mos ago. Pads on the Rear are new, less than 2 months old...Believe they are Delco. Brake system was bled and replaced with new fluid.

About three months ago, I notice a very slight vibration in the brake pedal when slowing down from 10MPH and under, basically when you are about to make a complete stop. It also has an intermittent "rattle" or "grinding" type sound while braking at low speeds. This sound appears to be coming from the left front, or just the front end in general...Difficult to pinpoint. It doesn't do this all the time, but it is an annoyance I want to fix.

Took the car to my mechanic and he couldn't replicate the rattle/slight grinding sound at all, he really didn't notice the vibration either, but it is there. He said that could be the Duralast Pads, as he said the lifetime warranty ones tend to be harder than other brands...Rotors look fine by the way. Car doesn't pull to the left or right under braking.

Just started noticing a slight drone, pulsing low level whine from the front end. Not loud, but it does vary with speed. Almost like tire whine, but lower pitched. It's the worse when driving at around 35-40MPH, above 40MPH it's hardly noticeable.

I'm going to have the tires rotated to see if that helps with whine problem, but I'm thinking these symptoms could be the beginning of a Wheel Bearing going out. Any other ideas?

Thanks in Advance,

Scott

R

·
0 Posts
sounds like it could be a front hub & bearing asbly going bad, not an uncommon problem.....

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
bearing going bad ? if it does it only when applying the brakes the vibration is probably a warped rotor.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update:

had the tires rotated and the whine subsided substantially, it's still there, but not as near as bad...kinda seems now that it is coming from the back? Before it was definately the front. I also swapped the Autozone brake pads with Motorcraft Premiums. The vibration felt at low speeds when braking has pretty much disappeared. I'm thinking it may be a wheel balance issue with the hum?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Last Update:

Problem Solved. It was definitely the Duralast (Autozone) 'Premium' Brake Pads. The tire rotation pretty much solved the Hum problem and the occasional Buzz/Rattle/Vibration has gone away since I replaced the Brake Pads with OEM.

I think I posted that I purchased the Motorcraft Pads, but I actually purchased the OEM pads with new clips etc. Braking is smooth, no vibration, and she stops well. My mechanic and the Ford parts counter are right. The Duralast pads are too hard and probably not good for your Rotors.

Moral of the Story, don't skimp on Brake Pads. I'm going to take my old Autozone Brake Pads in to see if I can get a refund.

·
Registered
51 Posts
its a warped rotor no? about it thats the only bad things about these stangs undersized brakes u might want to convert to a cobra brake conversin kit if u have the money so it doesnt happen again or just get new rotors to stop the problem for now was that a run on sentence or what

·
Registered
280 Posts
Dude, autozone parts, you said it all right there. Not bad to "get you by." Don't ever skimp on your ride, unless you have no other choice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.