Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went to get my 2000 gt out for the summer and it will not start. I already took the battery out and back to the place I got it and the test came back good. I think it may be the starter since when I turn the key it makes the spinning sound but does not start any help would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i am more used to doing brakes then anything on my cars. Should I get the starter replaced once I get it started or should it be fine? Just hate to get it out and about and have it not start.

·
Registered
22 Posts
it might fix it self if you can get the bendix loose... just sounds like a a build up of rust from sitting...... or "yes" it cant hurt to replace it ( that would be the smart thing)

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Spinning

If the starter motor is "spinning", the motor should be turning over. Have a friend crank the car while you take a flashlight and look at the front of the drankshaft. If the starter is making noise but the crank is not turning, the starter is bad.

Knocking the starter to get it to break loose COULD get you going. Frankly, I suspect it will probably fail eventually even if this works, but who knows? Next time you put the car in storage, go out once a week and crank it up and work the parts (brakes, gears, etc) if all you do is pull it forward and back a few feet. Sitting up can kill a vehicle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.