Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive noticed a lot of popping and pipe detonation after i had added my JLT cold air in take and SLP loudmouth axle backs. i have the SCT tuner, but it doesn't seem to help. ive made sure all the nuts are tight to ensure proper exhaust flow. i don't know what else to do. its really annoying having the car pop every time i shift. anybody have any solutions?
i let the car warm up and it still does it. and its really bad when i let off the throttle.

·
Registered
9,807 Posts
did you get a tune that is specific for the JLT intake?

if not, that could be the cause of the lean condition that [email protected] suggests

I am not sure if the "popping" is normal and you just don't hear it with a quieter exhaust, I can tell you I definitely do not hear it on mine (but my magnaflows are pretty quiet)

·
Registered
502 Posts
My pops from 1st to 2nd only once when it is cold

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the SCT tuner i have was set up for my JLT cold air intake. and ive made the car richer with the tuner but it only helped a little. i guess i will increase the fuel to air and see what i get. it pops when shifting 1-2 even when warm.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I hate to say this, but I think that may be somewhat inherent with the LM's. I researched before buying an axle-back, and found that many of the LM equipped Stangs popped when driven hard, or revved, especially when cold.

I settled on the Boom Tubes, which do NOT pop, and sound much throatier to me. They have never emitted an unpleasant sound under any load, and actually sound best when car is cold! They sound simply beastly, and do not have that "farm-truck", hollow blatty thing going on that I have heard with other muffler-delete kits. I picked mine up used...no less, and would never change them. You may want to consider. You could sell the LM's and probably almost break even.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well it turned out that my spark plug coil for cylinder 5 was loose some how, i took the plug out to make sure it would still fire, and reset the plug, and now it doesn't pop or backfire at all. thanks for all the possible solutions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts