Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the recommendation from Ghostdog and shakerhood I replaced the fron wheel bearings on my 91 lx 5.0. I took it out for a spin and problem is still there with the steering wheel shaking (not as bad) with the bearing swap. I have had the alignment done with new tires put on and balanced. I have put a new rack on with new tie rods. I can hear noise coming from the rear end. I know the bearings go bad as well as the axels if not replaced. Could this cause the front end to shake through the steering wheel? It is driving me quite mad. Does any one have any more suggestions in what I should check? The car has about 150,000 miles on it.
Thanks Rich

·
Registered
514 Posts
did you jack it up and check your tierods for play...or the rack?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have put a new rack and new tie rods. I havent checked it today because of the heavy rain outside. Shakerhood suggests that it may be bad u joint(s). I will replace those and see what happens. I will keep you posted. I do pretty good with mechanics however this one has me stumped and driving me crazy!

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
Its more than likely your rotors / brake pads being warped.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I don't know how bad the shake is, or when it happens, but if you feel it in the steering wheel than the problem is most likely in the front end. Does it do it all the time or just when you brake? Check to make sure the rack and tie rods are tight. I had a problem with a little shaking in my front end and it turned out to be the front struts where bad; they had 130,000 miles on them.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Steering wheel shake

The struts would be my suggestion; take a look at their mounts, too. Your brakes might do it also, but if it was that bad, your brake pedal would pulse when you step on it. Good luck. Jim.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.