Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2000 ford mustang, and since I bought it private sale, I didn't have a Carfax or anything. I knew it had some damage, but while cleaning the interior I found the passenger air bad has been deployed. That's when I went in inspecting the car even finer. I found that the from bumper has been pushed back and crushed the support. What exactly would need to be replaced other then the airbag itself obviously?

·
Registered
40 Posts
If I were you, i'd look more into the front of the car and check very in depth for more damage. Lower or upper damage? frame all ok? suspension components? everything running smoothly?

As for your front bumper, ford dealerships have awesome diagrams that will pull up the bumper, and all the pieces that go to it to hold it on. All you have to do is point out which part is broken and they can order you a new one, or you can try to find it cheaper somewhere else. dealerships are a little pricey for parts.

When I got my 2000 Gt it had a salvaged title. at first I could not tell where the damage came from but after owning it for a couple weeks, I found it was in the driver door. it doesn't align right and is full of bondo. Car either slid into something sideways, or got side swiped.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just drove the car 700 miles in 2 days so everything else functions fine. the frame seems to be in good shape, not bent or anything. The only thing that i wasn't sure about this. there is a piece that looks like an accordion and on the drivers side it is crunched down, but the passenger side it is intact and the beam for the bumper is "normal" looking. Ill try to find the diagram btw. I didn't even thing to look for that, Thanks!

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
if you can, I would take the front bumper off and go to a body shop and get a free estimate and see what they say, just to see what a professional thinks needs replaced/repaired. They can probably answer some of your questions a lot better than us as well

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've never had my airbags go off, but I don't think they would go off separately on these years. Maybe someone else knows better. I removed (and sold) my airbags and there was only one module, so I think they were both or neither. And I think you need to replace the module after they go off also. Sounds like the previous owner either replaced the driver airbag or just the cover.

Hopefully the hit was light enough that nothing else got damaged. The bumper and accordion support should be easy to replace. Like was said, make sure to inspect further!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts