Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i did an upper and lower intake manifold swap and took out the distributor and such. When i put the car back together i put the distributor in exactly how i marked it when it came out. one wire got pulled during the swap, not sure what it was but i put it back in the crimp and cranked the car up and turned right over. idled smooth and perfect, shut it off went to leave and the wire was out of the crimp and the car wont turnover. next day i came in and my friend soldered the wire back together and taped it all up. when you turn the key to the ignition before you crank it you hear a spark, then it will just start crankign and cranking. it turned over maybe once and ran like it was 180 degrees out. kind of stuck, would the car start and run fine the first time even when a 180 degrees out or would it be the wire? It is directly behind the lower intake manifold next to the pcv valve, cant get to car until monday so cant run tests until then, so please let me know, only thing holding me up from bringing my baby home!

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
ok so i did an upper and lower intake manifold swap and took out the distributor and such. When i put the car back together i put the distributor in exactly how i marked it when it came out. one wire got pulled during the swap, not sure what it was but i put it back in the crimp and cranked the car up and turned right over. idled smooth and perfect, shut it off went to leave and the wire was out of the crimp and the car wont turnover. next day i came in and my friend soldered the wire back together and taped it all up. when you turn the key to the ignition before you crank it you hear a spark, then it will just start crankign and cranking. it turned over maybe once and ran like it was 180 degrees out. kind of stuck, would the car start and run fine the first time even when a 180 degrees out or would it be the wire? It is directly behind the lower intake manifold next to the pcv valve, cant get to car until monday so cant run tests until then, so please let me know, only thing holding me up from bringing my baby home!
Problems that arise after doing work are just that,problems after just doing the work. If the car ran fine prior to the swap,the problem is something you touched(or didnt know you touched). Retrace your steps inspecting everything. Im sure its in there. Sounds like the power to your coil is nonexistant now. Or the power the coil is SUPPOSED to supply is nonexistant.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the wire that got uncrimped was the orange ground wire behind the engine block, could a bad solder cause it to act as if it was still unconnected?

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Absolutely it could be that. But even if you had a bad connection but still some continuity,the motor would at least cough when you tried to start it. Pull your coil wire off the distributor and position it so you can turn the car over and get the spark from the coil wire to arc to a GOOD ground on the block. If you have a good blue spark...your distributor is probably out of timing or bad cap/rotor. If you have no spark...work your way backwards. Process of elimination.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well it does cough every once in a while, we can get it to start sometimes but very rarely and when it does start it runs horrible and you gotta give it gas to keep it going, i feel as if it is that ground wire now..

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
That sounds like timing or you have the firing order outta whack.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it ran perfectly when i first started it after the swap, then the wire came undone and hasnt started since, it cranks and almost catches at times and when it does it barely runs cant let off gas, if it was timing it wouldnt have ran like it did the first start

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
The Orange wire is for your EEC ground and typically the Orange wire is bolted to the back of the engine along with a braided ground strap and then that braided ground strap goes to your fire wall.

Is the Orange bolted back to the original location that has the braided ground strap?
Is the braided ground strap still in place on the back of the engine?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
checked it out today, it was the ground wire, my friend didnt solder it he just twisted them together which made a real bad connection

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
checked it out today, it was the ground wire, my friend didnt solder it he just twisted them together which made a real bad connection
I would definitely crimp that connector along with a bead of solder.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
^^^ Make sure the steel braided ground cable present and making good contact also.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
I would also add another ground strap as that is always a good idea.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts