Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need Input on rear gears, getting ready to pull the trigger & would like some advice

Hey all:

I have the base model V6 with manual trans and the 273 gears. I really wanted the 331 rear gear option but they did not have any left in my area in the 2011 model and manual trans.

I have a buddy that has some used factory 331 gears with 500 miles & he will sell them to me for $100

Or I can get some factory new 355 gears for $150

I do drive about 85 miles round trip a day for work. I also want to try to keep my gas mileage the best I can but still get a little more out of it. I also purchased a premium 4 year 75K mile warranty.

I was thinking ford would be a little more forgivin warranty wise if I stay with the factory 331 gears over the 355 gears.

I would much apperciate any input. Thanks :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
If I were you and drove that far every day to work I would definitely leave the 2.73's in it and get other mods to bump up the performance.

Get a tune(which you would need anyway if you went for 3.55's or better) and a CAI. These two mods will give you a big boost in performance and can easily be swapped back to stock if needed.

And with 2.73's you can swap on some short drag tires if you want to go play and get some of the same effect as running the shorter gears but still retain your highway gas mileage.

R

·
0 Posts
I'd say go with the 3.55s or even 3.73s. Don't fear the gear.
I still got 28mpg in my '01 with 3.73s.

·
Registered
115 Posts
331s are a good balance of performance and economy. Go there or follow ltngdrvr's advice and go a different route with mods.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I think I might be with Ltngdrvr on this one. 85 Miles a day is quite a long haul. I loved the mileage with my 2.73's but love the performance of my 3.73's more. I can light the rears up even with trac control on. HOWEVER please keep in mind that I drive a grand total of 5 miles roundtrip to work. Unless my wife has the need to go here and there, a full tank of as can last ages.

Playing devil's advocate though, I hated the lack torque and transmission management in the new car. Firstly get yourself a tune and CAI package and see how you like that. If all else fails, I'd go with the 3.55's. 3.73's are too steep for your daily commute.

With that being said, even if you get the 3.31's, Ford will NOT warranty them unless its done in-house at a dealership. If its your aim to keep your warranty intact, you have no choice but to go 3.31's. Anything taller and Ford wont install it because you couldn't get it as an option through them otherwise.

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
+1 (or would it be +3, since I'm the third to agree?) on 3.31's.

+1 (or whatever) on addtional performance mod's.

+1 on Ford installation, to keep that warranty intact.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
I'd take your friend up on the 3.31's.
This is the route I went with, replacing my 2.73s. I do a lot of driving in So Cal, from San Diego up through Los Angeles. The hwy's range from flat to hilly, and if anything I've had a slight increase in mpg with the 3.31s. I believe the 2.73s are fuel efficient when its flat, but the engine can lug going up long grades. The gears were just too tall with 2.73s IMO. Another benefit with 3.31s is only having a 400 rpm gain on the hwy, which means my car is still fairly quiet at cruising speeds.

·
Registered
361 Posts
While you did ask for opinions::::::::

I'd go for the 373's! I did in my 2011 GT/CS 5L::
Man what a difference. Took out the 3:15 which gave killer fuel milage on the highway but the 373's still give me 28+mpg's on the road at 55mph on cruise.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
449 Posts
im going to work around my 2.73's , there is a member going 13.4's on the quarter spinning in first , he has longtubes , tune and other mods , m6 . i guess it all depends how fast you want to go.

I have not seen any spectacular numbers from these v6's with gears. take the race between 373 and wrx i think it was , one had 2.73's the other had 4.30's , and it was a very close race. thats just an example but , it could be that people are cautious to use slicks due to a possible driveshaft weakness , who knows.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone for all the input.

What I think I am going to do is buy the used 331 gears from my friend and put them away and down the road have ford install them.

I am going to purchase the JLT CAI and SCT tune and see how that works for me.

I have been reading up and a little worried with some of the complaints people have posted with idle issues and no gains ect. I know on my Dodge Magnum and Camaro the cai and tune made a huge difference.

Thanks again I will keep everyone posted on what I do.

·
Registered
361 Posts
55 MPH in Leesburg city limits is pushing it by 10 as it is, the same goes for the highway down here.
If I were to get on I-75 and drive 55 someone would probably SHOOT me.
It was just an experiment to get a reading on what the gears were doing to the gas milage after the change.
Same area, same speed, same RPM's.

·
Registered
405 Posts
lol its funny you guys think 55mph in the mainland is slow as hell and hazardous, but over here in Oahu, HI its the speed limit on the FREEWAY! lol tell me about it, it sucks so bad, but I still got the urge to normally go 80 mph. AND TO TOP IT ALL OFF WE STILL DON'T HAVE A TRACK OUT HERE! lol that's why i couldn't compensate trying to get a GT out here.

Besides that, go with the 3.73 for the performance but if you're the type thats just a DD then just go w/ the 3.31, man for $100 that your friend is offering you, you can't beat that!

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
If you're in Hawaii learn how to surf, snorkel/dive & sail. Water is your friend, the hwy, or what is of it, is not. :winks

·
Registered
405 Posts
lol btw im not hawaiian just happen to be stationed out here in a army base. It just happens that I'm stuck on a island with slow drivers

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
lol btw im not hawaiian just happen to be stationed out here in a army base. It just happens that I'm stuck on a island with slow drivers
LOL! Where do they really have to go on that INTERstate highway? :nogrinner Just be glad you're not stuck on Okinawa! 50 MPH (80-and-some-change-KPH) is the most you'll get on their ONLY express highway.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have a set of 331's for $55.00 if any one is interested.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts