Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the boards, so wanted to say hello to every Mustang girl/guy first. So anyway, on to my question. Can anyone give me some analysis on which is better? I like the solid look of the Billet Hurst shifter, but wanted to make sure it was worth the extra money. Also, if anyone has opinions on other aftermarket shifters, please throw those ideas my way as well. Thanks!

Comparison links:

(Billet)
Hurst Billet Short Throw Shifter Mustang GT (05-09)

(Regular Shifter)
MUSTANG V6 COMPETITION PLUS SHORT SHIFTER HURST (05-08)

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
Honestly I don't think the billet is worth the extra expense. I ran a regular Hurst for a couple of years before I swapped it for a Pro 5.0.

·
Banned
9,216 Posts
stl is there a gun to your head? in all my 4,XXX posts ive never seen you ask a question...

i have the hurst comp plus. it suits me well...but rattles.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Honestly I don't think the billet is worth the extra expense. I ran a regular Hurst for a couple of years before I swapped it for a Pro 5.0.
Did your regular Hurst rattle? My billet Hurst has the most pleasant little rattle to it at WOT.... ugh...

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
stl is there a gun to your head? in all my 4,XXX posts ive never seen you ask a question...

i have the hurst comp plus. it suits me well...but rattles.
That was a mistake... I replied to a post that got stuck in the moderation queue. Made it look like I started the thread. It's fixed now.

·
Registered
914 Posts
The billet one looks alot like the steeda tri axe which is a great shifter, so is the standard hurst. You really cant go wrong with a hurst anything so its all up to you. The billet is alot easier to install since the long arm that connects to the shifter is detachable though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The billet one looks alot like the steeda tri axe which is a great shifter, so is the standard hurst. You really cant go wrong with a hurst anything so its all up to you. The billet is alot easier to install since the long arm that connects to the shifter is detachable though.
Thanks everyone for your input. I'm looking at different ones and I like the Hurst "look" the best, but the Tri-Ax isn't bad either. I'm not sure yet what I'm getting, but I do like the short "clicks" you get with an aftermarket short throw shifter. Again, thanks for the input so far. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
338 Posts
look very close at the MGW. I have one and its amazing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You should take a close look at the MGW shifter too.
Mustang Shift Handle
That's a very nice functioning shifter, and it's also great to see them demonstrate their product. I may have just found my shifter :scratchchin. What kind of knobs can you get for it? Specific kinds or does it fit a broad range? I know that's probably a silly question. However, I'm glad I joined this board. I haven't been on a Mustang site in quite a while but you guys have been helpful. Thanks!

·
Banned
9,216 Posts
lol... so ur all ok mark?

yea i liek the hurst but theres tons of other good ones out there. anythings better than stock

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
New to the boards, so wanted to say hello to every Mustang girl/guy first. So anyway, on to my question. Can anyone give me some analysis on which is better? I like the solid look of the Billet Hurst shifter, but wanted to make sure it was worth the extra money. Also, if anyone has opinions on other aftermarket shifters, please throw those ideas my way as well. Thanks!

Comparison links:

(Billet)
Hurst Billet Short Throw Shifter Mustang GT (05-09)

(Regular Shifter)
MUSTANG V6 COMPETITION PLUS SHORT SHIFTER HURST (05-08)
Hindsight being 20/20, if I was to do it over I'd get either the Tri-Ax or Pro 5.0 and put a Hurst handle on it. I don't find the Hurst rattle as charming as some... ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hindsight being 20/20, if I was to do it over I'd get either the Tri-Ax or Pro 5.0 and put a Hurst handle on it. I don't find the Hurst rattle as charming as some... ;)
I've been reading this morning that the Tri-Ax is a nice shifter as well, right up there with the best of them. Not sure how accurate that is, but it is something to consider I guess. I want to get this right the first time, and being as OCD as I am about cars that's why I'm getting some long-time Mustang fans' input. I keep hearing about the Pro 5.0 in positive ways also, so I'm having a harder time making a decision on this now. I am steering more away from the Hurst now, however. It seems like there are some more advanced shifters out there that still give the old style to the retro look of the 05+ Mustangs. Decisions, decisions. :racer:

·
Shelby Gt 350 member
9,239 Posts
Go with Motorcraft 5w30

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm revisiting this thread to ask a quick question. Do any of you have any knowledge of MGW shifters anywhere else that are less than $299 dollars as it is advertised on their site? I really want one of these bad-boys but would love to find one a bit cheaper. I keep hearing they sell direct, but there isn't one other place that sales them under the radar for a cheaper price? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I searched the web and can not find it any cheaper. I just installed the hurst billet shifter yesterday and I really like it. I got it from mustangsunlimited.com for 216.95

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've made up my mind to go with the MGW
but there has GOT to be a better price
somewhere...

·
Registered
51 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.