Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to get worried about my stock hood. Cruising at 60mph, a dump truck or other large vehicle can blow past me in the other direction, and the thing flaps like it's about to come off! I know I could opt for hood pins, but honestly, they look cheezy on a non-racer.

This is what I'm thinking... someone who knows more about this stuff may have a better idea.

This is the cheapest thing I can think of. I've read there's a spot stamped in the stock hood that can be cut out for the shaker intake. To alleviate pressure, what if I have a shop cut that open, and then I placed a scoop on it, but backwards like a cowl? Would there be any problems with rain getting in at that location?

I've seen something similar done before and it doesn't look bad.

Opinions? Complications I haven't thought of? Other ideas?

Thanks!

~HA

·
Registered
520 Posts
That sounds like a lot of craziness for nothing. Have you adjusted the rubber hood stops that are on the radiator support? You know, the rubber things that you adjust to keep the font of the hood from fluttering?
Those are adjustable with an allen key and in stead of cutting up your hood and mounting hood scoops on there backwards , you might just try adjusting these or having the dealer or a body shop do this.
The funny thing is that doing what you said probably wouldnt help beacause the underside of the engine compartment will vent any "pressure" you think is in there.
If your hood latches firmly against the stops the hood doesn't shimmy and Ive tested mine to 168 MPH.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL! Hood stops? I couldn't possibly do that, it sounds too easy! :shigrin

Thanks, I'll take a look.

~HA

G

·
I have the same problem, I actually think all mustangs has the same problem I have had the dealer adjust the rubber but it doesn't work 100%. your only option is to go for hood pins. I didn't install it on my car I just got used to the shaking :D

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Is it really the under hood pressure? Or just the fact that the hood is made from the same thing your beer cans are? soda pop cans for you kiddies under 21.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
The Shaker really helped relieve the pressure on mine. However, cutting a hole for other than the Shaker would be asking for problems unless you never intend to drive in the rain again.

·
Registered
157 Posts
+1 on the shaker. However going over 140+MPH I did notice the hood start to shake a little.

The Shaker really helped relieve the pressure on mine. However, cutting a hole for other than the Shaker would be asking for problems unless you never intend to drive in the rain again.

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
I would think a scoop mounted backwards would look even cheesier then the hood pins. You could get a cow hood.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
cow hood!

My cowl hood still dances with pins. But knowing its not going to fly up or off is good.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just as a follow up here, I adjusted my rubber hood stops up about 1/4", just shy of preventing the hood from closing easily. That REALLY did the trick! Since then I have passed by several oncoming large trucks that were hauling ass, and doing 70 myself, with ZERO hood flutter. That must have been the problem. Thanks! Glad you guys chimed in before I started hacking on stuff and spending money. ;)

~HA

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Yep...that was the way to go. My stock hood didn't dance until I was around 120. But my fiberglass hood does the dance starting at 80. I've done all the adjusting I can do. But I think I'm good up to 100. Still no hood pins for me.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
my friend and i both have this problem..he opted for the cervini gt500 heat extractor hood. he said that it still dances around a bit, but not as much as before..

·
Registered
232 Posts
When I get a new hood, I really do not want to put pins in it. I know from what everyone says it is safer. Does anyone know of an occasion to where a hood has broken through the factory latch location and had their hood flip up against the windshield?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
:laugh:The simple fix for this issue, is to drive your Stang like Gary Paul does.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.