Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I recently found a mustang GT in my state that is at a decent price. I wanted to know what your opinions are on it and if I should get it lower down and how much the scrape and hood ding would cost to replace. I'm also a little weary of the fact that the engine went out at one point but if he has all the paperwork of a professional swap, everything should be good, correct? Heres the craigslist description:

"This car has 86,000 on it. I have had it since 2004 and had 12,000 when I bought it. i have kept up with the oil and basic maitenence. At 52,000 the engine went out and was replaced with an engine from a 2003 GT with 9,000 miles. So the engine in the car now really has around 40,000 on it and i have the paperwork. there is some minor body damage to the passenger door front bumper and fender. Also a small chip on the hood. that is why I am giving a lower price than normal. It runs great and I love this car but I have a truck that I need to get fixed. Its also 5 speed manual."

He wants $5500 for it. I dont live very near him, so I can't go out myself and test drive it at the moment. What would be a fair price for this condition?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
Keep looking, find one that hasn't been molested. I know that freak events do happen, but a 4.6 taking a crap at 52K is a bit suspect and makes me wonder what was really going on. The body damage (door, hood, fender and front bumper) could possibly set you back about $3K pretty easily. I have an estimate on my car right now for $2300 for some minor damage to the quarter panel, and the damage on that car is definitely more severe than what I'm dealing with.

Find a car that you can just hop in and drive right from the get go and that has a good history, not one that's going to be a project to get it to that point.

·
Registered
498 Posts
+1^ I would pass on that one.Keep looking and don't settle.This is a buyers market just be patient and the right one will come along. That one is not it.

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
never buy a "story car"...this one has one and like most "it stinks"

·
Registered
146 Posts
from your signature i see that you are young. If you have saved up the money to buy that car, you will appreciate it much more to wait another year and buy something that does not need work and you will be much more satisfied with. Im 20 and was in your shoes, i was going to get a beater but waited until i had enough to buy a clean car. I suggest you do the same. You will be much happier down the road.

·
Registered
189 Posts
dont jump into buying a car. i took months looking for a new car. drove around a beater family honda just so i could find the perfect car. and im sure this is the case with a lot of people on here. buying a car is not a 1 day or 1 week thing. take your time. im 19 and i recently just bought a 2002 myself, and delaying immediate gratification always pays off. i also agree with 2manystangs, do not buy a story car. get something clean that has never had problems.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
5,5k man in my area you can get a super clean convertible with roughly 60-70k miles for that price. im with the others. this car is more trouble than its worth

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds good guys, I still have a few months before buying a second car, definitely not jumping into anything. Just wanted to see what people would say about minor bumps for the future.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
minor bumps are find but an engine switch at such a low milage is a HUGE red flag

1 - 9 of 9 Posts