Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member here, need advice, please.

I want to install a short throw shifter in my '05 GT. Here are my requirements:

Easy to install - don't know if there's a big diff between manufacturers, but I will be doing this in my driveway, with my car up on ramps.

Need to move 1st, 3rd & 5th back about 1.5 inches - I'm tall (long legs) and I have to reach for gears at the top of the "H" - bottom of the "H" is OK, so are any of them adjustable? (I hope I explained this well enough - basically I need all of the shortening of the throw to happen at the top - or front - of the movement.)

Good price.

Thanks in advance,
David
'05 GT convertable, 5 speed, Red Fire, SCT XCal2, Green high-flow air filter

Next: Flowmasters & short throw

·
Registered
352 Posts
hurst

i did the hurst in by garage with jack stands did not have to remove any tran
part went in .. about 2 hour . big time diff .. i love it got it at

A&A auto for 159.99

·
Registered
208 Posts
Pro 5.0

I hadd the tri-ax - gone
I had the hurst - gone

I have the pro 5.0 and love it. The throw only shortens slightly but it is the throw itself that makes it incredible. It also is A LOT bigger and stronger and actually sits back a little farther than the other shifters. Took me a little bit to get used to it, but with your height, you'll probably love it instantly. 2nd and 4th are much farther back towards the console and I think it would be worth you looking into for more info. They retail for $299.95 :thumbup

·
Registered
107 Posts
Try the Saleen short-throw adaptor on your stock unit. Its the best $30 bucks you'll spend on any mod. Only takes 20 minutes to install, shifts are very short, and it works great.

·
Registered
208 Posts
techiegt05 said:
Hey, chevykiller, thanks for the info, I ditched the tri-ax as well; just curious did you ditch it cause of the noise??

Thanks!!
I didn't like the npoice but the main reason I ditched it was for the lack of adjustment. You were able to slightly lossen then throw but not much and it didn't hpold up well for drag application and like the hurst, it was just a modified version of the stock shifter. The hurst really sucked for me causde it had no adjustment capability. The pro 5.0 is set-up and constructed in a class by itself. Here's a coupel pics before install.

Attachments

·
Registered
359 Posts
tom281 said:
Try the Saleen short-throw adaptor on your stock unit. Its the best $30 bucks you'll spend on any mod. Only takes 20 minutes to install, shifts are very short, and it works great.
Interesting :happyhapp... can you shed some more light on this for us? :wavey Thanks!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Fryguy_pa said:
Interesting :happyhapp... can you shed some more light on this for us? :wavey Thanks!
There is a pretty good thread on it here in the Tech section. Long story short: I chose this mod after not being able to justify the expense of a full aftermarket shifter, due to quite a few people installing them and then not being happy with them (noise, vibration, etc.). The only other reason besides a shorter throw that I even considered a full shifter for was for the adjustable shift stops (Steeda, Pro 5.0); but I believe that the stock tranny has shift stops in it already, so that made my decision a "no-brainer".

It's cheap, works great, has very nice short throw, and you get no added noise or vibration over the stock unit. For the money I saved over buying a full shifter, I used it to buy an off-road H pipe. Two birds, one stone.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
tom281 said:
There is a pretty good thread on it here in the Tech section. Long story short: I chose this mod after not being able to justify the expense of a full aftermarket shifter, due to quite a few people installing them and then not being happy with them (noise, vibration, etc.). The only other reason besides a shorter throw that I even considered a full shifter for was for the adjustable shift stops (Steeda, Pro 5.0); but I believe that the stock tranny has shift stops in it already, so that made my decision a "no-brainer".

It's cheap, works great, has very nice short throw, and you get no added noise or vibration over the stock unit. For the money I saved over buying a full shifter, I used it to buy an off-road H pipe. Two birds, one stone.
I totally Agree, the Saleen shifter was the best mod for the money i've ever done in any car i've had. It shifts really nice and quiet and feels stock exept for the short throw. Why pay 300 bucks for the aftermaket full shifter that i hear made a lot of noise that is annoying.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks!

Thank you for your replies. I just ordered the Saleen adaptor. It sounded like a good way to get my feet wet, so to speak, before going any further.

:)

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
davidylyl said:
Thank you for your replies. I just ordered the Saleen adaptor. It sounded like a good way to get my feet wet, so to speak, before going any further.

:)
You wont be dissapointed. I had a local shop put mine on, it takes 1/2 at the most, so they can charge you 1/2 labor. Make sure they dont put it on backwards, you will know this because there will be no forward gears.

·
Registered
36 Posts
shifty business

Does anyone have any pictures of the Saleen shifter? Do you have to remove the stock shifter and replace some parts? Or what exactly does the Saleen shifter consist of?
I've thought about a shifter too, but the idea of saving the shifter money to spend it on CAI or exhaust is a good one.

Thanks Again
MN. SCOOTER

·
Registered
68 Posts
chevykiller said:
I hadd the tri-ax - gone
I had the hurst - gone

I have the pro 5.0 and love it. The throw only shortens slightly but it is the throw itself that makes it incredible. It also is A LOT bigger and stronger and actually sits back a little farther than the other shifters. Took me a little bit to get used to it, but with your height, you'll probably love it instantly. 2nd and 4th are much farther back towards the console and I think it would be worth you looking into for more info. They retail for $299.95 :thumbup
Is it quiet though?? I am back to factory shifter after the steeda(selling it on ebay). just want a little better than stock, but without all that NOISE!!!

Thanks, man

·
Registered
897 Posts
chevykiller said:
I didn't like the npoice but the main reason I ditched it was for the lack of adjustment. You were able to slightly lossen then throw but not much and it didn't hpold up well for drag application and like the hurst, it was just a modified version of the stock shifter. The hurst really sucked for me causde it had no adjustment capability. The pro 5.0 is set-up and constructed in a class by itself. Here's a coupel pics before install.
You must have had the Steeda Economy Shifter because the Tri-Ax is not a modified version of the factory shifter.
The Pro 5.0 is an almost exact knockoff of the Steeda Tri-Ax

·
Registered
60 Posts
Here's the thread on the Saleen short throw:http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50608&highlight=%2429 There are some great pictures in the thread and step by step instructions although you probably won't need them. I did this mod in 20 minutes with my car on ramps in the driveway, and I've never worked on a car before outside of tire rotation and oil change. Do it... you won't regret it!

·
Registered
95 Posts
DownWithEyes said:
Here's the thread on the Saleen short throw:http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50608&highlight=%2429 There are some great pictures in the thread and step by step instructions although you probably won't need them. I did this mod in 20 minutes with my car on ramps in the driveway, and I've never worked on a car before outside of tire rotation and oil change. Do it... you won't regret it!
Agree 100%. I'm a novice working on cars, and I did this mod in less than 1 hour (including jacking time). Piece of cake, and works great. Just don't tighten down the bolts too much. Excellent mod!

·
Registered
622 Posts
I think the B&M has a couple different handles that can be attached. One of which has a lightning bolt kind of bend in it so that it is closer to the driver... or further if you want to install it reverse.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts