Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1994 gt it has stock cam intake heads and valve covers I need new valve springs. First of all what spring kit should I buy? Next I want to buy new roller rockers I'm on a budget so what one should I get I don't want to spend more then 200 on the rollers if I can. I am also going to buy. Ford racing push rods. Last while I'm at it I want to put a new cam in it. I know the computer is sensitive and I don't want to swap the computer. I did some research and and the cams that I found are the FR e303 and possibly the b303 and the stress 19. Will I be able to use these with stock intake. And I am on a budget

·
Registered
316 Posts
I wouldn't try it any other way. But as for your computer statement you will have to get that a new chip burned everytime you make your motor "breathe" better. As for your cam choice... I would do more research alphabet cams are from the dinosaur age. I would maybe look into an Xtreme Energy camshaft from comp-cams. I personally like the camshafts, I used the Xe282hr in a 347 build, it sounded lumpy and performed like crazy with a 1.72 rocker I had .608'' Lift on the exhaust side which is quite a bit for a hydraulic roller setup. Yeah I suggest looking for a differen't camshaft. Replacing a cam could easily run you over $1000 once you pay for springs, retainers, keepers, seals, rockers, rods, camshaft, bearings, possibly shims for the valvesprings or shims for the rocker arms. Doing cam bearings is also almost impossible without pulling off your oilpan. 95% of people will drop the bearings into the oilpan attempting this. Therefor once you have the pan off you could easily freshen the main and conrod bearings that wont cost you too much more money.

Yes you could use an aftermarket cam on your stock intake/heads. No you will have to get a chip burned regardless to run right.

From experiance I suggest buying another 302 motor or a 351W from a scrap yard or buy an aftermarket block and just do a whole build. That way you dont have to settle for anything ``less`` and you will be completly satisfied with the end result. No matter how long it takes you to put it together you will always have your car on the road which makes it easy to be patient.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Depends on the cam and rocker combo. For my 608 thou lift I had Dual valve springs by comp cams prt number - 987-16. They will fit onto the stock head and take alot of abuse and revs. You may not need a spring that hefty tho it all depends on your cam and rocker and how high you want to rev this motor. Assuming you have a stock rev limiter at 6250 then these springs will take anything you can throw at it. When changing a cam also keep in mind piston to valve clearances.. Whenever you mess with valve lift alway double check... Ull need a pair of head gaskets as well. Intake gaskets too. Might as well change the lifter retainers maybe even the lifters while your in there. Make sure you keep head gasket compressed thickness in this whole process. Thinner is better then thicker. Rocker shims will compensate for lifters being too compressed but you will have a hard time if there is clearance at the pushrod to rocker.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The reason I'm asking I because I have a broke valve spring, i want to put in a whole set and I want roller rockers I'm not going to worry about the cam right now I just want to drive my car

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
OP:
See your original post.
And any camshaft upgrade with stock heads is a waste.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
YOu are wasting your $. Stock cam with 1.7 rockers is as good as it gets for stock heads. Replace your broken spring and be doen with it. Otherwise do a HCI swap. You can get 300 hp for under $2k with a set of TFS 170 heads, used holley intake, and comp cam. The stock cam would require 1.7 rockers I would use scorpion thats $250 plus spring which I would use crane another $200 then you need a gt40 intake another $150. now your coming up on $700 and you gained 20hp.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts