Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 Mustang GT with 86,000 miles on it... I know these sysmtoms are pretty close to "mbhmustang1998" post... The engine runs real bad, choppy only when the engine is cold... Once it is warmed up it runs fine and drives fine. But when I start it up and I don't give the engine time warm up it runs real bad, at about 1500 rpm while driving it, the engine starts tugging. The only way to get it out of the tugging is to let off the gas all together or blip the throttle to go faster. When the engine cold I could some times have the throttle pinned to the ground and there is no response and then all of the sudden it will catch and the rpms finally take and the car moves. I went to a tech guy he plugged in his computer and he told me it was just a bad coil on cylinder 1... Got brand new one from Ford $88.00 and still the same problems. I also put in brand new sparkpugs, same result. Also once the car is warmed up it runs fine but when I shut it off and then go to start it back up while its warm, it shuts right off, then it always starts on the second try. I already replaced the IAC vavle at around 55,000 or 60,000 miles, at that time the car would not start at all, put a new IAC on it started up like a champ. But again even when the engine is cold it always starts right up on the first try every time. Once it warmed up, like I said early, and I go to shut if off and then go to start it up again while its warm it somestimes does not start on the first try, always sarts up on the second. Does it sound like it could be anything else besides a idle air control or dirty MAF?

M

·
0 Posts
Has the fuel filter been replaced? I know when i got my car, every now and then id have to give it gas to get it started. Replaced the fuel filter and it went away. Also after the IAC fix i would too get a tug or surger if u will when the gas was held at a steady pace. Flooring it would take the problems away for a while. Everything i read about this lead to a bad EGR valve and or clogged. I never replaced it because now its gone but since its deletion its never happened again.
'

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hey mbmustang

I will check the EGR... Also I will change the fuel filter ASAP... No, the car did not tug and bog when I put the new IAC on, nor did it do it before... It just did not sart one day and that was when I put a new IAC on.

It just started doing it these last 5,000 miles or so (tugging and bogging at a certain rpm 1500 and runnign choppy while engine is cold). I will I clean the MAF sensor and the IAC too. Then I'll see how it turns out. I will get this done this coming Mon. it is when I'm free to work on it in my garage. Did you say I did not need the EGR? Can I just clean out the EGR and see if that works, or should I just replace it since it is a cheap part? Where can I buy a cleaner for the MAF sensor? Does NAPA have one?

M

·
0 Posts
I would get some electrical parts cleaner for the MAF and they should sell that at napa or any auto place. Yes i would replace the egr, its not that expensive, if the MAF doesnt cure the problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.