Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
iv been told since my 88 gt has a map sensor i cant change my heads or cam or it wolnt run right but if i had a maf sensor the computer would read the differeance and adjust itself. if so is it possiable to get a different chip or a tuner for my 88?

·
Registered
174 Posts
u can probably get away with changing the heads with ur speed density set up, but 1 u really start to mod your engine ur gonna need a MAF. Check out a MAF conversion kit, its fairly easy with the right tools, wire strippers and butt conectors. you can prolly do it in an afternoon.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i do have a 90 gt thats been wrecked and i still have the sensor and the computer or would i have to buy new stuff

·
Registered
552 Posts
put on sensor, and disconnet the map sensor

put in new computer
its that easy

but until you do some upgrades, the MAF will be slower than the speed density

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I would say to do the maf conversion...it may be touch and go with sd just with the heads..but my bet is that ur mods wont be stopping there..get a good kit with good direction or someone that has done it before....remember than ur map has to remain where it is with the left vacuum line uncapped.

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
If you have the complete computer system from the 1990, you can switch the computer, harness, mass air meter, and then unplug the MAP and leave it unplugged. Question is: are the transmissions in each car the same, or is one stick and the other automatic?

What you heard is right, speed density doesn't take well to modifications. Anything that changes the pumping characteristics of the engine like heads, intake, and especially the cam will cause a hunting idle, surging idle, pathetic gas mileage, and poor driveability. Switch it to the mass air system and it's game on for modifications. If you don't switch, the car will drive you NUTS until you switch to mass air. Stock for stock, a speed density car is a couple of ticks faster but you would have more adjustability with mass air.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
is it possiable to tune the the computer with the map after i put heads and stuff on or is it just better all around to have maf

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Better to get a MAF...... And for the record, you would just unplug the vac line of the MAP, not the Electrical connector. JIY the OP doesnt understand.
:wavey

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Justa thought, during conversion, dont forget about your fuel relay under the driver's seat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.