Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 Cobra I just bought. I had it up in the air changing the tranny fluid and noticed some plastic stuff everywhere by the crank pulley. It looks like it is coming apart!!! The "star" piece with the bolt through dampner has slipped or broke free and has play before it engages the pulley the belt rides in. Im sure this make no sense but.......what I need to know is what exactly do I need to replace the factory crank pulley either with another on or preferably an aftermarket 2-4 lb pulley. If you have a link that would be great!! The top pulley is a 2.80. Thanks in advance...Todd

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
if you change the pulley you'll need a retune, so it might be better to replace it with likewise part...for now

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right...unfortuneatly the car has not been tuned yet...So I can go any direction and get tuned afterwards. Todd

·
Registered
806 Posts
Right...unfortuneatly the car has not been tuned yet...So I can go any direction and get tuned afterwards. Todd
so this guy was running a stock tune on a upgraded pulley:nono:. you may have more problems with this car then you think/

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Uggg, I hope not. He was not the original owner. He told me that he did not tune it. It could of very well been tuned prior to him getting it 3 years earlier. How do you remove the stock crank pulley? Do I need to take out the big allen bolt or just the bracket bolts? Thanks, Todd

·
Registered
43 Posts
That crank pulley is beotch, the housing looking bracket thats behind the 8 rib pulley is actually all one piece with the pulley and comes off as an assembly. That big hex head is a 14mm, it is Reverse threaded, and its TIGHT. A 4 lb pulley is about as much as you can go with the stock blower since you already have a 2.8 up top. You will just need a tune ASAP. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks trmn8td! The 14mm is what I was looking for. The tune is already in motion. What, if any, could go wrong with not running with a tune? What can I look for? Sorry for all the dumb Q's! Todd

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
well running without a tune means the engine was running "lean", which is never a good situation since you could easily have piston damage...let's hope it was tuned or just not run too hard...

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Mines well replace All your idlers with better stuff, preferably Metco, when you start building power the factory pieces fail!

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
With the 2.80 pulley, it could have been close to lean. They do come fat on fuel on the top end. If you get a lower 4 lb and you go WOT with no tune, you will hear a snap crackle pop and see your engine pissing oil out of the side of the block. Def dont' want that to happen.
That stock crank pulley and cage can be a biotch to remove and like mentioned, it is reversed threaded. check out lightningperformance.com they have some lower pulley kits. I hate how they are a hit n miss on being good, but their kits are decent. But if you get a 4lb lower, you will need a bigger Alternator pulley, i think they sell them there too. if not, it will over spin your alt and it'll eventually crap out. I have a 2.80 upper and metco 3lb lower. another but, but you might need more fuel and Maf requirements with those mods. All cobra's are different and different things peg out. if you take it to get tuned, from a good reputable one, they will tell you if something is about to be maxed or pegged. Sux cause you'll have to fix it before they can finish tuning it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
if you get the crank pulley and alt pulley all installed drive it straight/trailor it to your sct dealer or nearest power shop and put the fuel to the fire on a good tune. Like he said, no WOT pulls. lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts