Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm new to the website and was wondering if someone can help me pinpoint some problems. I just recently bought a 89 gt, iI bought a new battery for it started it up and let it run. The next day I went outside to let it warm up again and the battery was dead. I took the alternator off and had it tested, and they said it was good?? So I bought a light and tested to see if there was any shorts light didnt come on??? I ripped the driver side dash apart and seems like they modded some wires from the steering column. Its my first 5.0 and since i'm not good with eletrical I really need some help. If you would like me to take some pics of the mods they did to get a better understanding I can do that thanks

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Yup, pictures would let us know what you're talking about.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You might want to see if the fuel pump is running.. my fuel pump relay went out recently and the pump stayed on. killed the battery. New relay and harness was about 25 bucks, said and done. Good Luck!!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
From what you describe it sounds like you have a current draw somewhere when the motor is shut off? That could be tricky to locate, something simple like a dome lite in the hatch etc.. or it could be more involved? I'd fully charge your battery, start the car and let it idle for about 5 minutes, turn it off then put a voltmeter on the battery, turn the key but don't start it and see what the reading is, then do it again in about an hour and see if the voltage drops from the previous reading, then you know there's a current draw somewhere while the motor is shut off!
If this doesn't yield results check the tensioner on the serpentine belt to be sure the ALT is spinning as fast as it should:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info yeti, I noticed when it stalls you hear the fuel pump kicking more fuel into the line. Since it just has headers and not a exhaust system is that way it back fires? and doesn have much power? I mean I can complain I bought it for 1000 and has 146000.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.