Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got an '88 gt previous owner removed smog pump and most of vaccum the lines . does any one have any pictures or diagrams i have
a ford service manual but im missing the one for vaccum, i also need some pics on how the pump mounts to the engine. if anybody can helpit would be great.

thanks

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Those should help you. And the smog pump just mounts to the bottom of the large aluminum bracket that holds the alternator.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i see were the smog pump mounts to the alt bracket but all i see is a threw bolt what keeps it from moving

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
That's all it takes, tighten down that one long bolt and it'll stay. It will.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
do i keep the pump tight against the block when i tighten it up or does it have a certain spot

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hi,It should be tight against the bracket.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey,its tight in the pivot at the thru bolt on the alt bracket and i can thighten it up so it won't move at all but were should it sit before i tighten it. also thanks for the pics of the vaccum it is exactly what i needed

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hi,Anytime slo50.I am not exactly sure how it is positioned but there might be a picture of it in the haynes repair manual if you got it.Or you could just put the serpintine belt on and move the pump until it looks good then tighten it but make sure you have someone there to hold the tensioner where you think the belt would be tight then tighten the pump and let the tensioner go and see how it looks.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hey , there must be some other bracket that hold's the smog in place . with the engine acceleration alone you can watch the pump move and if i tighten the bolt anymore in the pump its may break the alt. bracket

·
Registered
152 Posts
There is another bolt to hold it but I am not sure.I can't find my manual so just move it around in different positions until you see 2 holes that line up and go from there.I took mine off and I know there was 2 bolts,1 long one and 1 short one.Sorry I cant help ya more,I just cant remember.If you know anyone with a 5.0 look at their car to see how it is mounted.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hey , just got back from salvage yard and i found the other bracket it is about for inches long and mounts at back of pump to stud at timing indicator. thanks for the diagrams and help

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.