Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally did my first performance mods on the Mustang. I got a good deal between ebay and a local performance shop on a C&L Street CAI (ebay) and a lightly used Diablosport Predator tuner (local tuner) $400 all together. Anyhow, with those mods in place I have fallen in love with my car all over again. I am eventually going the way of a supercharger, but the $7000 pricetag on that puts it a ways off. What are some good mods that I can do in the meantime for more decent rwhp gains? FYI this comming Feb. after income tax, I'm going to do a full exhaust with headers highflow cats and something in the three inch variety the rest of the way back. Thanks for any input. One other thing, I was thinking about getting a GT500 throttle body with a throttle body spacer. Is that mod worth the money?

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
dude, dont get the throttle body... not worth the money at all.... i would say look into delete plates, underdrive pulley (altho if supercharge your gunna replace it, so maybe not), electric water pump.... perhaps if your looking to make your faster rather then power gains.... then do 4.10 gears, do some weight reduction on the car in way of adding lighter suspension components, etc.

just some idea's for you to ponder.... btw what kind of tune do you have on your tuner.... a custom one or just the one thats on the tuner from diablo?..... if you dont have a custom tune... look into one from brenspeed, tillman or bamachips.... that will give you better throttle response and power too.

have fune modding!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm using the C&L Street tune that was loaded in the Diablosport. I have already been talking to a guy here in town about some custom tuning, but I wanted to wait in case I got some other mod that also required tuning so that I could have the whole shebang tuned at once to save me a little cash.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I'm using the C&L Street tune that was loaded in the Diablosport. I have already been talking to a guy here in town about some custom tuning, but I wanted to wait in case I got some other mod that also required tuning so that I could have the whole shebang tuned at once to save me a little cash.
makes sense.... altho i must tell you the custom tunes that brenspeed, tillman and bamachips sell are damn close to a custom tune that you would get from a local dyno tune.... and they give you free tune updates every time you buy a new part.... so yah.... at $125 for three tunes i say not a bad investment... or even one tune for $50 just to try it out....

·
Registered
388 Posts
First of all i have to say congrats on you choosing C&L one of the tops with JLT. If you want to stay n/a for a while the STL is the top dog when it comes to that. He probabyl has the fastest n/a car on here at over 400HP.

I too have also stayed n/a. I went with FRPP heads, Comp Cams, o/r X, C&L, and Bama tune/custom dyno tune. I make 374hp.

I would recommend, going with a nice tune from Bama or brenspeed or tillman(91 or 03 octane), a o/r X (save your stock one for emissions), delete plates, and 4.10 gears. Of course if you wanted to stay n/a get some new heads,cams, and long tube headers, and you will be pretty damn close to FI stang, for less money.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
just go nitrous thats pretty much still NA right?

·
Registered
559 Posts
i would go with the GT500 TB....better response ,,,,,Stl is using it with his new sc setup,,,,im using it for the turbo setup....but also getting a CMDP will be a good choice with alum D/S

·
Registered
286 Posts

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
My opinion...save your money and just wait for the SC. It'll be a long grueling wait, but I'm sure it will be well worth it.

Or in the meantime, by supporting mods in preparation for the SC like suspension parts(LCA, UCA, etc).

If I woulda known for a second that I was going to get a Supercharger 1-2 years after I got my CAI and tune, I woulda just waited for the SC and saved myself a few hundred bucks. On the brightside I have the tuner from the combo package, so I won't need to buy that when I get my SC this week.

·
Registered
174 Posts
as STL said gears, gears, gears! and i also recommend doing some suspension mods. i'm going down the same road, i'll start doing some suspension upgrades soon to put down the power of the s/c

good luck

·
Registered
139 Posts
alright, 2 questions, 1. is nitrous legal? as in can i get my car inspected with it and 2, if its hooked up does it boost performance? or do i actually have to use it?

·
Registered
194 Posts
alright, 2 questions, 1. is nitrous legal? as in can i get my car inspected with it and 2, if its hooked up does it boost performance? or do i actually have to use it?
1. Check your state laws. In most states I think it's legal to have the mod and illegal to use it on the street.

In my state, Virginia, it's legal to have the nitrous system so long as the delivery system for the nitrous is not readily available to the driver. (I take that to mean remote bottle openers.) $500 fine here.

My car inspected just fine with the bottle hooked up in the trunk. Your state police will have a list of everything that should be checked during a safety inspection.

2. The system only boosts performance when it the nitrous is flowing and the nitrous system is on and activated. You cannot leave the nitrous system on all the time. You either need a remote bottle opener to open the bottle from inside the car or you'll need to get out and open the valve yourself before use.

Typically a simple switch will power on the nitrous system. Once the system has been turned on it is activated when you go to wide open throttle. If you have installed a safety device called a window switch, then the nitrous will trigger within a preset RPM window.

You'll be able to use the system around 10 times before the bottle needs to be filled. It might be as few as five if you go aggressive and as little as 15 if you use barely any.

·
Registered
139 Posts
so is it like in the movies where u hit the button and u almost purge the entire bottle? or does the bottle being on period make it boost hp?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the input so far. As far as gears go, would I see any driveability issues going to 4.10's behind my automatic? This is my daily driver and will be for some time to come. Also, has anyone changed their torque convertor out for a higher stall? Basically, what is still streetable? Again, thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
... As far as gears go, would I see any driveability issues going to 4.10's behind my automatic? This is my daily driver and will be for some time to come. ...
Gears are a great performance mod. The consensus seems to be 4.10's are a good ratio for a S197 that's going to be used on the street. In city and mixed driving your car will be quicker and you shouldn't see much if any change in mpg. IMO The only time you'll take a hit is highway driving. Your car's rpm's will be higher and your mpg will go down. I went from 3.27 to 3.73 in my '00 GT. The rpm's at highway speed were a non issue but I did lose about 4 mpg on the highway. I'm on the highway a fair amount of time so I've been on the fence with this mod for myself.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.