Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have some pretty severe paint damage as I pointed out in a threat some time ago. I got splattered by something and I've pretty much confirmed that it's road paint; tiny sand sized specks all over my car. I've been going at it with a low abrasion compound by hand (I don't trust myself with a buffer) and this isn't just working. In fact, I've made it worse and got abrasion marks on my paint and they're not pretty.

So has anyone had any work done by a dealership at all? I've received a few opinions and the general consensus is that dealerships can do some pretty good work and you don't have to really go to a specialized shop for a buff and finish.

Debate...

·
Registered
793 Posts
Ive had some body work done to my 11' v6. Someone had driven their car into my rear end pretty much cracked the back end of the Mustang and dented the bumber underneath. Had it all replaced and the dealers body shop did a fantastic job at matching the paint. The car still looks like it just got off the factory line when he was done. Help that the car is well taken care of though as its always garaged and cleaned offten.

I dont think you are near me as your avatar states but just in case, just pm me and ill refer you to them.
They didnt charge me a dime eaither was all put on the d bags insurances tab. Farmers insureance it was, and they are fantastic to deal with. It took no more than a day to get the cars damage apraised and 3 days to get it fixed.

I was forced to drive my GT500 to work...Boo Hoo lol

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
yeah, a some dealerships have good detail shops...I'd look for a local outfit as well since they will probably cost less...there are also mobile guys, so that might work for you too, I'd google it and look locally...good luck

·
Registered
25 Posts
what compound was it specifically?

Get a quote possibly and a procedure of what the dealership plans on doing. Im pretty confident that you could do this yourself. impossible to screw up using the porter cable. Wet sanding is a different beast, you can screw that up big time, but not orbital buffing.

Its not like the dealer has a magic bullet for this, they will sand the **** out of your car and use a rotary buffer if its really bad, if its unfixable theyll repaint the whole car.

You should post this on autogeek.net and try to get expert opinions who probably have dealt with this, they will require pictures though as its impossible to prescribe a solution without them.

·
Banned
201 Posts
I sell paint and body shop supplies.
Have you tried wax and grease remover 1st to remove the contamination?
Possibly, the wax and grease remover may remove the substance and reveal any premanent damage to the paint.
Maybe you just scratched the clear and then a little wet sand with 2000-2500 grit wet n dry paper may fix it along with buffing and polishing the affected area.
I agree with you and others your compound should not have done severe damage unless it was like 3M's 06027 mold and tooling compound or something like it. Especially when used by hand.
But it could be possible.
In wisconsin, Burr Oak autobody does very fine work. IMO.

·
Banned
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I sell paint and body shop supplies.
Have you tried wax and grease remover 1st to remove the contamination?
Possibly, the wax and grease remover may remove the substance and reveal any premanent damage to the paint.
Maybe you just scratched the clear and then a little wet sand with 2000-2500 grit wet n dry paper may fix it along with buffing and polishing the affected area.
I agree with you and others your compound should not have done severe damage unless it was like 3M's 06027 mold and tooling compound or something like it. Especially when used by hand.
But it could be possible.
In wisconsin, Burr Oak autobody does very fine work. IMO.

I'll do some homework. Thank you!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Excellent question...I wasn't using very much hand pressure nor a very aggressive compound at all.
Most compounds take time to break down, especially when applying by hand. You most likely removed the compound too early which resulted in the additional abrasion marks you described.

Either spend more time doing it by hand (and be sure to work the compound enough) or get a PC7424. I had a piece of a flat tire fly up off the freeway and scratch my front bumper pretty badly. 15 minutes with the 7424 and it was completely gone.

·
Registered
145 Posts
So just keep going at it then?
Depends on the product being used and what you are using to apply it.

Here's some good reading material on the subject:
Man versus Machine - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum

Notably:
"Keep your hand moving at a fast pace and as you apply pressure to the pad you'll see the product on the surface go from a whitish, opaque film or layer of product to a clear, oily residue that almost looks and feels like you're applying mineral oil or Vaseline over the paint. This is normal and this is what you should see if you're working the product carefully and correctly."

"I started at approximately 12:47pm and after this first section I've already used about 10 minutes just to rub-out this first section with two applications of Ultimate Compound."

·
Banned
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Depends on the product being used and what you are using to apply it.

Here's some good reading material on the subject:
Man versus Machine - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum

Notably:
"Keep your hand moving at a fast pace and as you apply pressure to the pad you'll see the product on the surface go from a whitish, opaque film or layer of product to a clear, oily residue that almost looks and feels like you're applying mineral oil or Vaseline over the paint. This is normal and this is what you should see if you're working the product carefully and correctly."

"I started at approximately 12:47pm and after this first section I've already used about 10 minutes just to rub-out this first section with two applications of Ultimate Compound."

I was using a Turtle Wax low abrasion compound which was "highly reocmmended." Now that I'm looking around, seems like it's just garbage apparently and a lot of people are complaining about the same thing that happened to me. I'll try to get some meaningful pictures up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts