Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have a 90 2.3 liter had to change timing belt now car is surging and getting hot. I also changed plugs,wires, fuel filterect. have all my marks lined up but still runs bad could anybody tell me what the timing should be set at for degrees??? :sosad: :sosad: :sosad:

·
Registered
9 Posts
got the time?

baby3848 said:
have a 90 2.3 liter had to change timing belt now car is surging and getting hot. I also changed plugs,wires, fuel filterect. have all my marks lined up but still runs bad could anybody tell me what the timing should be set at for degrees??? :sosad: :sosad: :sosad:
Let me be the first to say that this is the perfect TIME to swap that 2.3 for a 5.0 or bigger. any way timing is as follows> PISTON 1 at top dead center> number 1 INTAKE valve should be ready to open. If you allready have it like that, then check if your timing is retarded or or advanced, you only have 10 degrees of play with in that region. I could help if i knew more, email me and give me more detail if possible, 2.3 engines are nice ford was thinking on that one 8 plugs 4 pistons.lol see what you think.....

G

·
The easiest way to line up the timing belt right on a 2.3 is to find TDC for number one on the intake stroke, take the timing cover off, followed by the belt, then line the cam up with it's mark, then turn the auxilary shaft to either line up the teeth on the camshaft position sensor or distributor rotor with #1 plug on cap (can't remember if '90 was distributorless or not, I know '88 back had distributors), then put the belt on being damn sure not to turn any of the three pulleys at all, and then SLOWLY let the timing belt tensioner against the belt, watching for movement at all three pulleys, if you can get the belt tensioned down without moving them, you've got it, just put the timing cover back on and fire her up and see what she does. I've literally seen 2.3s run with the cam in 180* backwards (not well, and what little power a 2.3 has is gone, but it'll suprise you with it's smoothness), so double check everything before you bolt it all back together.

Why is this in a Mustang II tech forum anyway?

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
concider it done :laughlitt

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
baby3848 said:
take out your #1 spark plug and insert a rod inside, rotate the crank until the piston it as Top dead Center, reset your timing marks on the cam and the crank, put the belt back on reinstall everything and turn it over. Make sure your plugs are in the right firing order on your distributor.

·
Registered
16 Posts
lawngodfather said:
BUy a Hayes boook

DO you guy recommend HAynes or Chiltons?? I have had goodluck with the last chiltons I bought for another vehicle. It seemed to have better wiring diagrams at least.. :wavey

·
Registered
16 Posts
cool, I got a haynes for 10.99

·
Registered
1 Posts
chiltons vs haynes

from my experience, I'd much rather go with a Chiltons. even tho Haynes is cheaper to purchase, they don't go into as much detail as the Chiltons. however, considering I'm such a cheap bas .... umm, thrifty person :evillol: , I usually end up with a Haynes. :mad:

·
Registered
2 Posts
baby3848 said:
if its a federal car then the timing is 10 degrees for stock with the spout out.

if its a califoria mass air car then the timing is 15 degrees for stock with the spout out.

you might check your coolant temp sensor if its running bad.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.