Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my front brakes need to be replaced, so I thought I may as well spend a little bit more money to get some better stopping power. What will I need to upgrade my brakes? Do I just need to upgrade the pads, or should I do the calipers/rotors/cylinders as well? What would give me the best bang for the buck? Also, I'm fairly mechanically inclined, but I've never done a brake job before. Should I just take it to the shop, give them my aftermarket parts, and tell them to do it for me? Or is it worth the hassle to throw them in myself?

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
it is easy to do yourself. If you want some aftermarket stopping power look for a slotted rotor for all 4 corners. The stock calipers are fine, you could always upgrade to some stainless steel brake lines on all fours. There are many different types of pads out there, I guess it is just preference.
If you have the cash to toss around and have some 17" rims on the car allready, the cobra 4 piston calipers are a great upgrade if you can afford the price tag.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Depends on how much money you want to spend. Ideally, you should buy a Cobra or Bullit brake upgrade which includes calipers, rotors, and pads. If you are trying to do this on the cheap, buy some high performance pads and cross-drilled and slotted rotors. I just installed some EBC pads and Brembo cross-drilled and slotted rotors last month and am very happy with my new stopping ability.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Monkey Boy said:
Depends on how much money you want to spend. Ideally, you should buy a Cobra or Bullit brake upgrade which includes calipers, rotors, and pads. If you are trying to do this on the cheap, buy some high performance pads and cross-drilled and slotted rotors. I just installed some EBC pads and Brembo cross-drilled and slotted rotors last month and am very happy with my new stopping ability.

that's the most cost effective, & you can always upgrade the rotors to eradispeed +1.

The Bullitt & Cobra brakes are Baer's street kit, and you can find them wholesale at buyfordracing.com or gefracing.com.

·
Registered
49 Posts
i looked at the cobra and mach 1 brake kits at buyfordracing.com. which ones are better? are they both 13"? i assume the 13" won't fit in a 16" wheel.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
i looked at the cobra and mach 1 brake kits at buyfordracing.com. which ones are better? are they both 13"? i assume the 13" won't fit in a 16" wheel.
The only difference is paint.

·
Banned
2,873 Posts
You need 17's to clear those. Get a good set of rotors, and EBC (green) or Hawk HPS brake pads, with stainless lines and you'll be all set.

·
Registered
669 Posts
agreed. all you would need is a good set of pads and some slotted, cross-drilled rotors or just slotted rotors or just drilled rotors and you're good to go.

I wouldn't really start worrying about brakes until you're making good power.

And do it yourself. If you're somewhat mechanically inclined and are willing to break a sweat, you can do it.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
agreed. all you would need is a good set of pads and some slotted, cross-drilled rotors or just slotted rotors or just drilled rotors and you're good to go.

I wouldn't really start worrying about brakes until you're making good power.

And do it yourself. If you're somewhat mechanically inclined and are willing to break a sweat, you can do it.
Nah, you got that backwards. Brakes BEFORE power, if you plan on making it.

AFTER, it's already too late.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Nah, you got that backwards. Brakes BEFORE power, if you plan on making it.

AFTER, it's already too late.
That's what I did...but...I only did that first because it was cheaper. I would've like to make power before stopping...:D

Who needs to stop anyway?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.