Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car's about to hit 100K, so it's time for a tuneup, but I figured I may as well slap on some minor upgrades in there while I have the engine exposed. Here's my list of upgrades, let me know if you guys think they're worth it or if you can suggest anything better.

In order of priority
1.) NKK sparkplugs
2.) CAI filter - Probably K&N gen 1 or gen 2.
3.) MSD ignition wires

I'm looking to get a little bit more kick, without sacrificing gas mileage. In fact, I'm actually trying to see if I can squeeze a little bit more gas mileage. I'm averaging about 18 city/23 highway.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I would either go with Bosch or Motocraft spark plugs. Motocraft #AWSF-44PP or=to a 0.052 inch gap.
K&N is a good choice dont have anything against them.
MSD, even though are are good brand the Ford Racing 9mm wires have lower resistance when it comes down to getting spark where it needs to go. FR9mm has a 1.27ohm resistance at 1volt currant.

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
SwapMeet said:
Car's about to hit 100K, so it's time for a tuneup, but I figured I may as well slap on some minor upgrades in there while I have the engine exposed. Here's my list of upgrades, let me know if you guys think they're worth it or if you can suggest anything better.

In order of priority
1.) NKK sparkplugs
2.) CAI filter - Probably K&N gen 1 or gen 2.
3.) MSD ignition wires

I'm looking to get a little bit more kick, without sacrificing gas mileage. In fact, I'm actually trying to see if I can squeeze a little bit more gas mileage. I'm averaging about 18 city/23 highway.
go with a Demolet intake & save yourself 50 dollars.

You'll have to cut the FR wires to fit, the MSD wires are 50-70 dollars. Your car isn't modified enough to go for MSD wires at 60-70 dollars. Stick with OEM wires & plugs and save yourself another 60-70 dollars, and get yourself some underdrive pulleys.

with the intake & underdrivers you'll bump your mileage more than expensive plugs & wires.

run some intake cleaner through your system, and clean your MAF with computer contact cleaner and your highway MPG should go to 30, minimum.

What year is your car?

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
kscoyote said:

You'll have to cut the FR wires to fit, the MSD wires are 50-70 dollars. Your car isn't modified enough to go for MSD wires at 60-70 dollars. Stick with OEM wires & plugs and save yourself another 60-70 dollars, and get yourself some underdrive pulleys.

with the intake & underdrivers you'll bump your mileage more than expensive plugs & wires.

run some intake cleaner through your system, and clean your MAF with computer contact cleaner and your highway MPG should go to 30, minimum.

What year is your car?
Oh, forgot to mention, it's a 2000.

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
SwapMeet said:
Oh, forgot to mention, it's a 2000.
ok, then yeah, the savings from your original plan will almost get you to underdriver pulleys, which will bump your mpg another 2-4%

you can find them at rpmoutlet.com.

you'll need an extra $40 or so, but it'll pay for itself in the long run, both in mpg, and in acccessory wear.

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
kscoyote said:

What year is your car?
jeez, I must have been working when I wrote this!!!

anyway, go to www.demolet.com or tunableinduction.com and you'll find the intake.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the info, where's a good place to get the underdrive pulleys and how many hours do you think it'll take to install? What exactly does the underdrive pulley do?

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
SwapMeet said:
Thanks for the info, where's a good place to get the underdrive pulleys and how many hours do you think it'll take to install? What exactly does the underdrive pulley do?
Depends on how much stereo-AV equipment you have or are planning to get. The 3.8L is used in a ton of applications, one of which requires substantial power to run the accessories -Specifically, the minivan, which requires a lot of the compressor and alternator to cool the vehicle, and to run the television screens, dvd, vcr, laptops, etc. So the accessories run like mad, taking a lot of power from the engine.

The Mustang is a lot smaller vehicle, and doesn't have all the cooling & electrical requirements. You can slow down the accessories by 42% and free up 12-15 hp that's used to power a minivan's requirements. A side benefit is that you also extend the life of the accessories because they're not spinning like crazy.

You do this by installing a smaller crank pulley. It takes 30-45 minutes to install.

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
SwapMeet said:
The only place that sells the 42% pulleys is rpmoutlet.com

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
kscoyote said:
Depends on how much stereo-AV equipment you have or are planning to get. The 3.8L is used in a ton of applications, one of which requires substantial power to run the accessories -Specifically, the minivan, which requires a lot of the compressor and alternator to cool the vehicle, and to run the television screens, dvd, vcr, laptops, etc. So the accessories run like mad, taking a lot of power from the engine.

The Mustang is a lot smaller vehicle, and doesn't have all the cooling & electrical requirements. You can slow down the accessories by 42% and free up 12-15 hp that's used to power a minivan's requirements. A side benefit is that you also extend the life of the accessories because they're not spinning like crazy.

You do this by installing a smaller crank pulley. It takes 30-45 minutes to install.
I have a decent stereo with an aftermarket amp, subwoofers, aftermarket speakers. I'm not sure how much wattage/amperage it draws. How do I know how low I can go with the pulley?

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
SwapMeet said:
I have a decent stereo with an aftermarket amp, subwoofers, aftermarket speakers. I'm not sure how much wattage/amperage it draws. How do I know how low I can go with the pulley?
you can always overdrive the alternator. you may lose 1-2 hp.

I've got an aftermarket head unit, a MMATS 4070 amp, and 4 aftermarket speakers, and I haven't had any problems with charging.

Subwoofers take a lot of power, though . ..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.