Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace the tires on my 94 GT. I live on the west coast in the pacific northwest so rain is something I want to be taking into account. I'd like something that will be both durable (my last set are totally worn out after only 3 years and less than 20K miles!!) and will give me good performance and handling especially in wet conditions.

If they wont kill me in the odd bit of snow that I see for a few days each year that would be good also but not of main concern.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
goodyear Eagle LS or Eagle GT, run you about $500 for all four corners and if you dont spin them, they will last a while. Drove mine in the snow up in New York, handles fine in rain, snow or ice.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have Kuhmos on my '96 Cobra. I love them. I would suggest that you try tirerack.com to at least get an ideal of which tires you want. I have found that with some local shopping you can get a price close to theirs (remember that mounting the tires can cost an addditional 12 to 20 dollars per tire over the price on tirerack, but is usually included with the price quoted locally) but they do have ratings from other users of a certain tire which will give you an ideal of wether or not it will work in the rain better than another.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
First of all, nice to see that someone else from Washington is on the board. Im in B-Ham, so Im probably the closest person on the entire board to you. I work at Sears in the Auto Center in Bellingham too.

The next set of tires I will buy are the BF Goodrich G-Force KDW with the new tread design in a 255/40/17. I have researched them quite a bit, and they are excellent in the rain and the dry, acting nearly like a drag radial in the dry. Also the tread design is the best looking Ive found so far. These will run you about $600 though. If you want a good tire for an excellent try the Falken ZE-512, everybody loves them and they are a consumer reports best buy. These will probably run you $375-$500 depending on whether you are running16's or 17's. The 225/55/16's are usually cheaper then the 245/45/17's. Those G-Forces come in a 245/45/17, but its the traditional tread, which looks something like a Traction T/A.

Kumhos are cheap tires, the Ecsta ASX are decent but the 711's, and 716 suck in the rain. I have Yokohama A550H's ans they too are hard as rocks and will slide around turns at 20 after only 3000 or 4000 miles.

The Goodyear Eagle series are pretty good tires, but are overpriced, Assurance Triple Tread are Goodyears tire right bnow, because they are truly incredible. They are pretty expensive though.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
We do, but they are overpriced I think. Im not sure who else sells them, but for comparison, your cost mounted, balanced, and taxed is $805.29 without the road hazard for the 255/40/17's, which will be really close to the same size. Otherwise you will have to get the traditional tread if you want 245/45/17's, and they are $194.99 per tire. The 255/40/17's sell for $166.99 per tire, plus they are wider. I think I saw them on tire rack for $148.00 per tire. Of course then you have to inlcude shipping and mounting and balancing...soo.... If you get a Sears card you can get 0% financing for 6 months if you sign up at the time of purchase. (God, I sound like a walking Sears add, how depressing....) But, it could be a good option if you dont have the money right away and need the tires real bad. Ill let you know if i see any smokin deals on them anywhere.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They have the traditional tread at Costco (mounted) for $153.99. I'd really like to get the new tread but they don't make them in a 245/45R17 which is what I'm running currently.

I hate to expose my complete ignorance but can I use a 245/40R17 without changing wheels?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
yes, but 255/40/17 would give the same overall diameter as the 245/45/17, (or very close to it anyways) have the new tread and also fit on your wheel. At least it should, you may want to ask Costco if they will mount 255/40's on a an 8inch wheel like you have, good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmm. They dont seem to make the 245/40 or45 for a 17 inch rim as far as I can find at costco, discount tires, or tirerack. I'd have to move up to an 18 inch, and I'm not prepared to go to a new wheel to get this new tread. Looks like I'll have to go with a traditional tread :sosad:

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
try a 255/40

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.