Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am trying to help my disabled brother with his 86' 5.0 Mustang GT problem. A few weeks ago he drove it, parked it, went back to restart it, and the lights etc worked, but no sound/start when he turned the key. No clicking from the starter either. After about an hour (waiting for a tow truck), it suddenly started & had run ok since. Today the same thing happened and we towed it home. There is no sound at all when he presses the clutch down and turns the key, but the lights etc work. I thought it must be the starter, as there is no clicking sound, but he says the clutch has to be down to start it, regardless of whether it's in gear, or in neutral, and he says it's not the starter, but something (electrical?) connected to the clutch. Can anyone out there please enlighten me as to what might possibly be causing this? My brother has a VERY small income every month, and can't afford to replace any parts if there is nothing wrong with them. I hope someone reading this who's very familiar with the '86 5.0 GT model might be willing to offer sound advise. Please post a response, or email me direct: [email protected] Aloha and Mahalo

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
You can try bypassing the starter solenoid by putting the keys in the up position (not cranking, but where the radio turns on) and use a wire (12 gauge or bigger) to connect where the battery side of the starter solenoid to the other side of the solenoid where the starter wire is.

If it it does, your solenoid or the clutch safety switch is toast. Those are like $6-10 to replace

You may also want to look under the dash where the top of the clutch pedal is and make sure the clutch safety switch is firmly pushed in.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I'd be willing to bet the clutch safety switch is the problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Much Aloha to both of you!

My heartfelt 'Aloha' goes out to both of you for your fast responses to my post. I have printed your comments for my brother and will post back shortly with the outcome!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'd clean and tighten both battery terminals and all the ground straps.

Ignition switch could be the culprit also if the starter solenoid is ok.

Be sure and check your grounds though. That is the problem alot of the time

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.