Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i HAVE A 2004 Ford Mustang. AFTER I purchased the vehicle I found out the car had originally been a standard and its previous owner swapped the engine&transmission to an automatic. They didn't change the PCM to match. I purchased the correct pcm but it needs to programmed for PATS. Problem is Ford is telling me I need the VIN of the car the engine and transmission came out of in order to program it. I can't get in contact with the dealer. Is there anything else I can do to get the correct vin to successfully complete the program?

·
Registered
734 Posts
ok i believe the engine and tranny will work with any pcm as long as its the correct setup and year, i dont believe the engine and tranny are keyed to a VIN number. Experts please correct me if i am wrong!!!!!!!!

The VIN number from a identical automatic car should work in this case.

Verify these facts:
Motor is a 3.9L v6 or a 3.8L v6, there is a difference and it matters.

The transmission i think as long as its automatic should be enough, both motors had the 4R70W.

If that all checks out and your motor is indeed a 3.9L any 3.9L 2004 mustang VIN should work in the computer provided the dealer programs the keys also to it.

If they need an example VIN to program it, i could provide one, but only over the phone to the dealer, im not going to post it here.

if it gets that far PM me.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Little known fact. Salvage yards are REQUIRED to maintain the source VIN number of all parts sold. So a certified salvage yard should be able to get the VIN number that the PCM came from.

If it were me, I would go to a salvage yard and find a Mustang from the same year and transmission and write the VIN number down.

Or buy a hand held turner with PATS disabled.

Or contact a lock smith as they have the tools/equipment to re-program PATS.

Or find a better dealer to work with. IMO, the guy behind the counter is asking for the VIN number because the computer screen he/she is looking at is also asking for it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks sooo much. I was ready to say forget this car.I dont have anyone else to help me. I really appreciate the feedback. I'm going to see what I come uip with and update y'all as soon as I can :):):):):)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay sooo I had a locksmith come out and he couldn't program my key.. He said I would have to get the iqnition that the pcm came from.. I bought the pcm online. I don't think thats possible. Or he told me to go to a slavage yard and get a new pcm, the iqnition and key..

·
Registered
17 Posts
The PCM and the Gauge cluster have to match. Your engine and transmission don't matter to PATS. What does matter is your ignition portion of PATS (which is in the gauge cluster) and PCM portion match.

You shouldn't have to change anything else.

·
Registered
17 Posts
They either have to come from the same car or a Ford Dealership that has the WDS (World Diagnostic System) can supposedly reprogram them to match each other again.

Do note that the mileage follows the cluster.

If you search PATS or Passive Anti Theft System in Google, you should be able to find more info. If you have just the PCM though, I'm pretty sure a Ford Dealership should be able to reprogram your gauge cluster. Procedures for them are located at PATS Job Aid. Problem is you need to have the tool. Our cars follow Key Reprogramming Procedure #2.

I'd try either a Ford Dealership or a Locksmith with the tool.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I called ford. I talked to a service technician by the name of Lee. I explained to him every detail about my car including how everything was changed from a manual to standard. Which explained why I had to swap the pcm in the first place. I told him the locksmith came out and he couldn't program the keys to match the pcm. He told me they could get the job done as long as I showed him my registration to prove I'm the owner of the car. I drove my car up there using the old pcm to prevent from paying a tow fee. When I arrived I switched the old pcm with the new one. Gave them what they asked for and left. They called me back 10minutes later to ask me exactly what I wanted done :nono: Although we already went over it ten times before I explained to them again over the phone I need it flashed for PATS. He told me it wouldn't work unless they went in and manually entered everything the computer which would cost me about 350.00. Of course I was upset because I asked him 100times before I took my car up there. He claimed that he called me because he doesn't want take my money knowing it wouldn't work. Although I was frustrated I thanked him but I didn't know at the time he already attempted to flash it. So thats 120+25 for the extra key.:cursing: on top of that now that hes already programmed my keys to the new pcm I couldn't use the old pcm to drive it back home. They are basically telling me I would have to have it towed out of there or they could program the keys back to the old pcm (which would cost me another 120) or let them manually enter in the information which may or may not work according to them. I'm thinking it won't work. I'm currently looking for a cluster gauge that would match my pcm. I can't find a junk yard with a 2004 ford mustang. I bought the newn pcm off ebay.
At this point I don't trust them and I feel like they're just trying to make money.
If I wanted to disable PATS how do I go about do so? Any advice , suggestions? it would be helpful and greatly appreciated.
They told me they would keep my car free of charge until I decide what I want to do...does that sound like ford? I don't want to go get my car and they tell me they've been charging me 25.00 a day ..Let me know Thanks.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
I've heard of lots of other people having the dealer flash their EEC to fix the PATS after a manual swap; but I've never heard of this headache for the VIN #. So they are saying all you need is another EEC with the VIN? Maybe ask in the 2v 4.6 forum. You're actually the first PATS equipped V6er I've ever heard that had a completed swap.

Another option would be to get a SCT chip burned that disables PATS. Sniper special forces and do it too (DIY) and it's pretty reasonably priced.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Help me understand. The Ford dealer flashed the new manual PCM for the PATS key correct? What happened when started?

OBTW, programming new keys will change the cluster and PCM. So is it possible there's some other reason why the new PCM isn't working?

From this thread, it's not clear to me exactly what car the new PCM came from. Are you POSITIVE it was from a 2004 V6 MANUAL?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The new pcm isn't manual its automatic. the old pcm was manual. The previous owner changed all parts from manual to automatic. The car started but it didn't drive correctly because the owner still had the old manual PCM int the car but had an automatic transmission. So I purchased a new pcm from ebay . Its a 2004 ford mustang 3.9L automatic pcm to match everything else that was previously swapped. Once I changed the pcm the car wouldn't start for PATS. It will crank but it won't turn over. Thats when I called Ford and they originally told me I needed a VIN number in orderr for them to program for PATS. I called a local locksmith he came over and tried but couldnt do it because he said I would need a new cluster gauge to match the pcm. He said it would have to come from the exact same car that I got the new pcm from. Since I bought the new pcm from ebay it would be almost impossible for me to get the cluster gauge from the exact same car. Someone on here told me Ford could do it if they had the right tools. I called Ford and they told me they could...Thats why I took my car up there. They said after they flashed it , It cranks but doesn't starts. Theft light still blinking. I'm positive I purchased the correct PCM for the transmission and engine etc...however I do have the same cluster gauge that was originally put in the car. I'm thinking I do need a cluster gauge that matches the pcm.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They don't need the VIN number anymore. They told me if they could get it started then everything would be good to go. I need this PATS issue resolved in order to move forward. Maybe they didn't follow the correct procedure? Like I said they did it in like 15minutes. If even that. .

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
FWIIW, there are 1000's of guys out there that have swapped clusters out and have been re-programmed to work with the PCM. Think about how impractical it would be if every cluster had to be matched the PCM? It would be impossible for the dealer to replace a failed PCM or failed cluster.

I'm going to go out on a limb here. When the Ford tech hooked up the tool, it asks for the VIN number. The tech used the VIN number actually on the car. The WDS tool likely detected the code block mismatch and reported it. I'm guessing the tech assumed the PCM was bad.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I called the Ford tehcnician I've been working with and he told me they are using the IDS to program the new pcm...Could this be the problem? He also told me there was no way to disable PATS on a 2004 Ford Mustang :mesad:

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
There are 1000's of guys out there with Mustangs that have PATS disabled. A hand held with a custom tune can do it.

The Ford tech can't disable PATS but a hand held tuner can.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay. that would be my last option since Ford still has my car If they can reprogram it I would like for them to do it. Do you think it would be less expensive to buy a handheld to disable it? If PATS is disabled will the key fab still work to lock and unlock the car? I would really hate to disable it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts