Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend's got a Dodge Charger RT, his dad wants to race me for $300 bucks and his dad's gonna be the driver of the car. His dad knows how to drive and is a car mechanic. The other day he beat a dodge charger super bee (6.1) and the guy tells him to pull over and pop the hood to see what he's got. All he's got is a 2007 dodge charger rt premium package with an airaid cold air intake. He claims it doesn't have a tune but I feel the previous owner put one in due to the fact that we hit 140mph in it and stock is governed to 128mph. And I know he hasn't spent a penny on it since purchased because of all his speeding tickets, so I dont have to worry about any tricks up his sleeve. His car is fast,who knows maybe the owner before changed the gear ratio and he doesn't even know. It's just not the typical charger

Now my question is, what cheap mod I can do to my car that guarantee me a win. I know don't spin. I was thinking the magical launch number is 2500rpm. Here's the mod's I have

2005 Mustang GT wit stock 3:55's

Frpp 90mm Cold Air Intake ( same as the shelby gt stock one)

Hurst Billet Short Throw SHifter

FRPP stingers

Pypes Off Road X pipe

Bama Tunes (93 race tune)

and 18"deep dish wheels with nitto street racing tires 18x9 all around and 20% tread left due to going to the track:nono:

So what mod Can I go with that will give me some good gains, I don't have money for a supercharger,Shot of NOS, LT headers, and all that. I'm 17 years old and in process of saving for a supercharger.

Mike

·
Registered
84 Posts
Should be really close if you know how to drive your car. That damn charger weighs 4k+ ... yours is like ... 3400? Stock power to weight ratio is actually in your favor. With your mods vs his mods, I honestly think if you drive it right you can win. Especially considering the 2005+ cars respond really well to a tune, good gains off that. Don't think you have too much to worry about, but $300 is kinda scary, especially when you're saving for something.

As for a quick mod you could do, if you're already betting $300, wouldn't buying something to win the $300 defeat the purpose? Considering any mods you'll do that you'll see good gains from will probably be in excess of $200 if not $300. Just saying.

Either way, good luck man, I think you've got it, those Chargers are cows :grinroll:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea ik, just I could always hit up mommy and daddy :yup: for some money for a little mod if it's within reason. Hopefully new tires soon.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yeah, just tell your dad you want to race & beat this guy...I'm sure he'd fork over for a supercharger.

·
Registered
454 Posts
His dad is a mechanic, wants to drive, and doesn't have anything done to it.....
He's pulling the wool over your eyes, he knows what he has and he's willing to bet on it. Something has been done to that car and if he's any kind of a mechanic he knows exactly what it is.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
His dad is a mechanic, wants to drive, and doesn't have anything done to it.....
He's pulling the wool over your eyes, he knows what he has and he's willing to bet on it. Something has been done to that car and if he's any kind of a mechanic he knows exactly what it is.
let me clear this up, he was a mechanic( had his own shop) after 9/11/01 he closed the shop and went in to construction for homes. Now he's back in the mechanic field over at jfk airport working on their vehicles and doing homes as a side job here and there. He kinda lives with the concept with cubic inches, and the gearing how the car pulls through each gear besides whats in the rear end. guess the charger fits him well, dodges idea of big cars with big engines. If he still had the shop than no doubt the car would be worked and so would mine being the kids best friend, but he doesn't have it anymore.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
R/Ts are not that much faster stock for stock because off all the extraw weight. With your mods and his, it's a pure driver race, and he has wayyyy more experience.

Some things to do. Weight reduction. Take out the backseat, spare tire and jack and everything you can. Dont have much gas in the tank when you race.

You could also get a Zex Safe Shot. Gives you 35rwhp and costs the $300 you'd be betting so he would be paying for it:bigthumbsup

4.10s can be had for $159 but the install can be pricey.

Are you talking about a 1/4 mile at the track? Or on the street?

Also, since the dad is doing the driving, you should also be able to get a "ringer" to drive for you (if you want).

·
Registered
383 Posts
I'd say you guys are pretty even. I'd save myself the potential loss of $300 and spend it on a mod :winks but I'm not much for gambling.

·
Registered
531 Posts
buy some 4.10 gears than smoke him.

my stang is a 4.0 and i beat my friends 05 v6 charger without my tune and half my mods. you should beat him if hes not lying about his mods

·
Registered
123 Posts
My friend's got a Dodge Charger RT, his dad wants to race me for $300 bucks and his dad's gonna be the driver of the car. His dad knows how to drive and is a car mechanic. The other day he beat a dodge charger super bee (6.1) and the guy tells him to pull over and pop the hood to see what he's got. All he's got is a 2007 dodge charger rt premium package with an airaid cold air intake. He claims it doesn't have a tune but I feel the previous owner put one in due to the fact that we hit 140mph in it and stock is governed to 128mph. And I know he hasn't spent a penny on it since purchased because of all his speeding tickets, so I dont have to worry about any tricks up his sleeve. His car is fast,who knows maybe the owner before changed the gear ratio and he doesn't even know. It's just not the typical charger

Now my question is, what cheap mod I can do to my car that guarantee me a win. I know don't spin. I was thinking the magical launch number is 2500rpm. Here's the mod's I have

2005 Mustang GT wit stock 3:55's

Frpp 90mm Cold Air Intake ( same as the shelby gt stock one)

Hurst Billet Short Throw SHifter

FRPP stingers

Pypes Off Road X pipe

Bama Tunes (93 race tune)

and 18"deep dish wheels with nitto street racing tires 18x9 all around and 20% tread left due to going to the track:nono:

So what mod Can I go with that will give me some good gains, I don't have money for a supercharger,Shot of NOS, LT headers, and all that. I'm 17 years old and in process of saving for a supercharger.

Mike
Whens the race going down? But like everyone else said, it's mostly a drivers race. Go practice your take offs and all of that, and lose as much freeweight as you can. Also if you have enough time, 4.10 gears would get it done. Installation would be a lot, but go ask his dad, the mechanic, to put them on for you. Maybe he won't wanna race anymore :p

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
4:10's do you think it's too much? I don't wanna die down in high end speeds. What about 3:73's? it's only a $460 job for gears, install, and all fluids.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
3.73 gears are good if you plan on s/c...
BUT if you don't I'd go 4.10s :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Cheap mods...
CAI & Dyno tune
UDP's
Electric Water Pump
Aluminum DS

All of these will free up the engine a good bit and improve performance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts