Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, let me tell you that I love my wife, and here is one of many reasons why. She's in NYC right now on business, goes out there about once a month, so I texted her today.

Me: Hey, I really wanna regear the stang, I found a place that'll do it for a pretty good price.

Her: That's fine, but be sure to get it done at the place with the best service, not the best price, I know how much you love the Mustang so I want you to get the best work done on it.

I've got a base GT with the 6MT and 3.31's. Now my only decision is whether to go with 3.73's or 4.10's.

Can people with these ratios in their 2011 and newer Mustangs give me their opinion?

I live about a mile from my office so I walk a lot, but do drive sometimes. My Mustang is my daily driver but it's mainly city and a long roadtrip every so often. I don't really mind a drop in gas mileage but I don't want to be revving too high of an rpm on extended road trips. I don't want to exceed 3000 rpm's while cruising at about 80mph or so. My math suggests I shouldn't be but I just wanted to make sure from a person who also has a 6MT and is spinning either 3.73's or 4.10's.

Also if you don't mind, how much did you pay for everything? I want a good ballpark of what is an average price for this job.

Thanks everyone, and for those in Colorado, my wife and I will be up in Steamboat on Saturday for the Rocky Mountain Mustang Rally.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
you drive a mile to work?

leave it in first gear.

if you're willing to tolerate 3000 rpm at 80, get 4.56. 3.73 is only 2400.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Way to contribute to the thread without helping me out one bit. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
well my brother runs 410s on his gt and it pulls hard top end is not an issue since he dosent fly through freeways but overall it really didnt hut hurt gas millage ,i have a cobra and run 430s car loves them and i also didnt see a huge drope in gas millage.

·
Registered
775 Posts
the jump from 331 to 373 will feel like a significant gain in performance. so if you have any doubts thats the perfect choice. i would go with the 410s if i was you tho. i run 410s on my SCed 2007 (373s on the 2011) and think it the 410s are the best set-up for spirited street driving. they will make jockeying around in traffic in that super tall 6th gear a much for reasonable experience as well.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I can't answer for your application, but I can tell you that I have driven 2011/2 GT's with 3.31, 3.55 and 3.73. With the 3.31, you have few chances to use 6th gear, and with the 3.73, first is pretty low. You can find one of those online gear ratio calculators that use the tire measurement, car, rear end ratios, etc to figure out the MPH at RPM for every gear. Then you can decide for yourself.

·
Registered
66 Posts
On my 3.73 i can start the car off with second gear instead of first without blogging down. I think 3.73 is enough... can't imagine 4.10... highway on 4.10 must be like my integra....

·
Registered
437 Posts
Since you are in Colorado like me, and the altitude is robbing us of tons of power, I highly recommend 4.10s. I turn about 2750rpm at 80mph. Looked down while doing 85 on the way home from work today and it was still just a hair under 3000rpm. But the uber short gears help make up for some of our huge power loss up here. If I was at sea level, I'd have probably just stuck with my 3.55s, but up here, I am really glad I went with the 4.10s.

Plus up here you can still trap in 4th even with 4.10s with light mods.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I just went to the 373's in my GT/CS from 315's{auto}
and if you do make long road trips I would recommend the 373's.

But it is your decision to make, read all the posts, evaluate all the input and decide.

Let us know which way you go but I will be your first words after the change will be WOW! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have 3.73s and love them. I highly recommend them for a daily driver and weekend racer. I had 4.10s in my 94 mustang and it was far too low for in town driving. Although the 94 was a five speed. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have an auto 2011 GT, but I'll chime in because I *really* struggled with the decision between 3.73 and 4.10. Ultimately I decided 3.73s simply because I do occasionally go on long trips with my car, and didn't want to kill the gas mileage. More importantly I didn't want to get irritated driving at 80 mph close to 3000 rpm.

I found, at least in the auto, the 3.73s to be reasonable at sustained 80 mph, though it was borderline bothersome. I have the Roush axle-backs, and I feel like any higher rpm at highway speed and it would be irritating for any trip greater than a couple hours.

With that being said, around town, 4.10s would have been beastly!!

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have 3.73 in my 6MT and would not want to go to 4.10's. With 3.73's you already have to row pretty fast through the gears. First gear ratio on the MT82 is a shorter 3.66 compared to previous 5-speed boxes.

·
Registered
472 Posts
3:73 vs 4:10

Looks like the guys have it covered with their comments. But advice from an old racer. If you're the "RICKY RACER" type. Go with the 4:10's and enjoy all the aggravation and RPM noise plus additional engine and drivetrain wear. But if you're a regular STREET GUY a nice streetable and fun package is the the 3:73's. You and your honey will be happier for it. Plus come trade in or sale time there are not a lot of people who are interested in really low gears in their cars. Just a thought!

·
Registered
737 Posts
I have the factory 3.73's at just over a mile high in elevation and with my mods, I'm just about through 4th at the end of a 1/4 mile. Perfect for me. Highway in sixth going 75-80 I could hardly hear the exhaust (of course, that was before I added the Borla's and Heartthrob system). I'll have to take another trip soon and get back to you. Mileage wise, I am very happy. 14-16 in town spirited. 20-23 highway.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Oh and on a side note... As for your wife, sounds like you've got a keeper. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone for your input. It's a close call but I think I will go with the 3.73's. I think 4.10's would be a blast but maybe a bit too beastly for what I need the car for.

I had to drive from the Denver area to Pueblo and back, which is about a 200 mile round trip and am definitely annoyed with the 3.31's. Any slight incline or need to speed up is almost a guarantee that I need to downshift. 6th w/the 3.31's at Colorado's elevation is simply too tall of a ratio to be realistic at anything below 85 or 90 mph. 3.73 here I come!

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Here is a simple way to make your decision. If you drive on stock street tires forget the 4:10's. I have 3:73 gears in my 2011 GT now and there is no first gear .
The tires dont even come close to holding it. I think anymore gear is a waste of time with no traction.
This is coming from a guy who drove a 1970 Fairlane with 5:14 no typing error, 5:14 gears on the steet., It was fun, but it was like driving on ice. If I put 4:10's in my Mustang, I think it would be the same thing.Anyways my .02.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Here is a simple way to make your decision. If you drive on stock street tires forget the 4:10's. I have 3:73 gears in my 2011 GT now and there is no first gear .
The tires dont even come close to holding it. I think anymore gear is a waste of time with no traction.
This is coming from a guy who drove a 1970 Fairlane with 5:14 no typing error, 5:14 gears on the steet., It was fun, but it was like driving on ice. If I put 4:10's in my Mustang, I think it would be the same thing.Anyways my .02.
This would be true if he lived at sea level. But he doesn't, so he has ~75hp less than you do. 4.10s are perfect for the high elevation imo. I do not blow the tires off in 1st even on the street. 1st goes fast, but doesn't spin that bad.

·
Registered
290 Posts
3.73's unless you can shift like a professional driver, those first 3 gears are going to run out so fast with 4.10's and unless you can keep up... might even end up being slower than the 3.73's if you shift bad.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Of course while everyone thinks they're a good driver, I honestly do think I was born with a clutch pedal attached to my left foot and a shifter in my hand.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts