Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently had my cobra tuned and it blew the fuel pump cause it made more power than expected, it was a Walbro fuel pump capable of 450hp. I sent the blown one back for a new one and just tuned the car down alot. Iv been driving it daily and can really tell their's alot more power to be let loose. The guy that was tuning it said i was making 500hp at 5000 rpm with more power to go haha. so what im trying to figure out is what is the best fuel pump for the job? I also have plans for a bigger supercharger in the near future so i want to go ahead an get a pump that will be capable for 700hp just to be safe. oh i also had 72lb injectors put in also.. any suggestions will be appreciated thanks!

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
What car are you talking about?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2004 SVT cobra, has stage 5 port on the supercharger an quit a few other mods. Was making to much hp, tuned it down but it doesnt like it.. Probably cause nobody in Oklahoma can tune a cobra.. thats what iv been hearing, so im going to get a bigger fuel pump have it tuned the RIGHT way an hope for the best! Im coming close to just giving up and selling the stang and get a nice truck i hope it doesnt have to come to that though. any suggestions on good fuel pump brands?

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
has the mass air been calibrated to the injectors? I'm not sure what the stock system is rated at, but it should be fine for most applications since it has dual pumps...a kenne bell "boost a pump" is a way to easily boost the fuel system performance...people don't realize how much time and money goes into a heavily modded supercharged car...trust me, it's death by a million pin pricks

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
You need to get your story straight, first off the 03/04's have a twin pump fuel hat stock, a single Walbro? Those don't even work with these fuel systems they'll burn up! That's why I asked what year..

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
Hey Brutal, I think he has an 04 Termi...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright srry guys ill give ya a straight rundown. bought the car it ran great, drove it home from TX drove great.. I drive it for a few days with no problems all of a sudden things start making noise from front and rear end. I take it in and have them look at it. My rear end was not bolted in, didnt have any sway bars or anything like that, and the owner before me had put to hot of spark plugs in it and it blew cylinder 7 an 8. so i get a rebuild which takes FOREVER hah an put it on the dyno for a tune. The Aeromotive A1000 was crap and got rid of that, an the dyno guy said a Walbro with do just fine.. WRONG again buddy, obviously it wasnt good enough cause it blew it the first pull. so he orders a new one and tunes the car way down so the pump would work. an i can tell its tuned down. this guy has pretty much pushed me around for 4 months and im not going back there, SO ill just have to get a pump thats FOR my car and head to TX or some other state for a tune cause Im threw with oklahoma dyno tuners Im sorry but they have no clue what they are doing.

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
ok, stock the car comes with TWO internal pumps, if you just put it back to stock you should have plenty of fuel...so are those pumps present and they added the aeromotive? or just took out the stock pumps and only ran the external? or did they just not hook it up right and cooked the system? blew a fuse?
And yeah, one single Walbro will not cut it, now two, yeah...once again boost a pump will really help any system.
BTW there are plenty of wannabe tuners out there, I see crap tunes, builds all the time. I'd head down to THR, I think they are in Dallas or Houston...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
previous owner had a turbo on it an had some crazy rigged up fuel system, and yes it blew the pump up cause how they installed it, they scrapped the stock fuel system all together an put an external a1000 on it, theirs no sump in the tank or anything. Thanks everyone for all the info helped out alot. Ill be looking into a KB boost-A-pump an a tune from a texas guy haha.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
sounds like your fuel system was converted, certain years had return while others had returnless and Terminator guys revert back to the pre 99 setups, I'd recommend the new Aero Stealth 340:bigthumbsup
Has the fuel tank been modified too?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yepp the tank has been messed with, I was told theirs no sump in it. Can you buy a sump for the tank an have it installed? or do you have to get a new tank? I may go ahead and just get a new tank and fuel pump, what would you guys do in my situation? thanks!!

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
no matter how you do it, it will be costly...those Termi tanks are hard to come by...then you need two pumps
A tuner can build a "hat" and install the pumps...
An aeromotive 1000 might be all you need...
If it was me, I'd find the OEM tank and pumps...don't you love buying someone else's crap pile? My 95 was nothing what the guy selling said it was...major PITA

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had a A1000 on it and it didnt run right. But it had stock injectors when i did have it on there. Could that have been the problem? Now i have 72lb injectors should i go back to a A1000, everyone told me that it was too big for my setup. Im so confused :?:

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
too big? I don't think that is possible....more than likely the "bad tuner" did not tune for the bigger injectors..also has the mass air been upgraded? If not, it will be a big factor as well. Really that car needs to be put on a dyno to take all the guesswork out of it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yep the bad tuner said the A1000 pump was to big but it was hooked up backwards with no sump in the tank, the a1000 pump is supposed to push fuel not pull and push right? and yes the Mass air has been upgraded and no the injectors wernt tuned for the pump. So i have some options here, go stock OEM tank with two pumps?, or a Aero stealth 340?, or a KB boost-a-pump? srry for all the confusion here im just trying to figure out the best way possible.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
yepp the tank has been messed with, I was told theirs no sump in it. Can you buy a sump for the tank an have it installed? or do you have to get a new tank? I may go ahead and just get a new tank and fuel pump, what would you guys do in my situation? thanks!!
First off find out everything that exists in your fuel system, does it still have the stock 39lb injectors? does it run an aftermarket external fuel filter like an Aeromotive or is the stock filter housing used? How about the fuel lines and fittings on them? Is the fuel tank stock modified?THEN call Jared at Lethal Performance, their a vendor that knows a lot of fuel system options for these cars!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
^^ Thank ya sir ill do just that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts