Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New 17' tires wearing knobby on inside?

996 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  shelbystangman 
#1 ·
hi, i was wondering if anyone could help me with my problem because bot me and everyone i seem to talk to can't figure it out. I installed a set of 17 inch black bullit rims on my 3.8 back in may and have approx. 10,000 kms on them now. the tires are 245/45/ZR 17 Kumho ecsta's. my car originally had 15 inch rims on it. the car car was in a rear end collision in october, and was parked untill may. when i took it out again in may after being repaired i had a wheel alingment done on the car and it was supposed to be as close to perfect as was possible and was not supposed to wear it's tires. the car did not wear the 15's that were on it before, and when i let go of the wheel on the highway the car stays dead straight, no movement at all. and now my 17's with 10,000 km's on them are basically worn out, on the inner edge.

#2 ·
How fast tires wear is determined by a lot of factors, not just your alignment. The tire compound is one factor... are they the same brand and type of tire but only in a larger size? Or are they a different tire all together?

Also keep in mind that even if your car stays straight when aligned it does NOT mean your tires are actually pointing straight down the road. In fact when aligning the tires they WILL in most cases (if not all) have a slight angle difference off from true straight ahead. That allows your tires to actually grip the road even when driving in a straight line. This will cause your tire to wear unevenly.... and the reason why you rotate your tires. But if the angle of both tires is the same (but opposite) you will track straight since the force being applied will offset each other.

The softer the tire compound, the more you will see this wearing. But the softer the tire compound, the better the grip on the road... so it is a trade off.

I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.