Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I'm brand new to this forum and everything mustang.
To start I'm a sixteen year old kid. I drove an f-150 and worked my ass off to buy my first real man's vehicle:

Its a 1997 Black Cobra-
120k -
18" deep dish Fr500's-
CL Cold air Intake-
Cats removed
Exaust dumped with aftermarket mufflers

I've been looking into the best mods, and everyone is saying gears. I live for acceleration and want my car to blast of the line like a bat out hell, but I realize there are traction issues etc. So I was thinking 4:10's at the least, 4:56's at the most. I'm not really worried about gas mileage ( parents pay for gas ) and I'm really not to worried about to much gear even though its a daily driver cause I'm a kid, and I really don't drive that far or much. I have some incredibly wide michellen tires on the back. are 4:56's to much? will I have traction issues? are 4:10's enough for that neck snapping madness?

Question 2. My car came with no cats, and my inspection is running out. I hate to pay for cats/lose hp. What are my options.

Thanks in advance,
Jeremy

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
I'd recommend 4.30's! As far as the Cats go see if you can borrow a catted Midpipe from somebody in your area, slap it on for the inspection and switch it out after you pass:bigthumbsup

T

·
0 Posts
Welcome

Welcome to the forum. Lots of good advice here for you and your new hot rod. Enjoy! :D

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
Of course you'll have traction issues, quicker gears will make it even worse...
Try not to kill yourself.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
4.10's or 4.30's. +1 about borrowing a catted mid pipe or usually you can find a used stocker on ebay. just switch them out for the test, then afterwards put the other one back on.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright. I'll go 4:30's. What kind of suspension upgrades will help with traction? upper/lower control arms?

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
do a search in the box at the top of the page...this is a common question and has been discussed throughly

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.