Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have joined the masses os 2.3L ownership. I bought the car pretty cheap (thank god) and it need motor work. Before you all say go buy a wrecking yard motor, I don't want to risk buying a pull-apart motor and having IT be bad also...

The car appears to have/had cat problems. I will be cutting those out to check them. I pulled the valve cover and found a rocker laying in there and the cam lobe is fried. The motor is also very oily outside and a complete mess. Given that and the low oil pressure I am thinking about pulling it to give it a good go thru and regasket. Probably new oil pump, def new cam/rockers...

I have not found any roller cams around. I did find a few turbo motors in yards, but like I said affraid they are there because of motor problems as the bodies are not to beat up..

SO
#1 - is it of any use to pull a turbo head and maybe just swap it in as is? (heads are like $30-50 I think)

#2 - IS there a recommended gasket kit to use? I may boost it later and can change HG then, but I need a pretty complete kit to get this motor cleaned up and dry...

#3 - Is there any problem with running without the timing cover? Mine is crackes are are most others I have seen..

#4 - Have any of you run without cats and passed emissions (non visual) tests??

Sorry for the barage.. I got the car hoping it was not so bad off and would be drivable much sooner, and have never worked with a 2.3l before.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Now... The Fel-Po Kit is a good kit... get the permadry kit tho... but instead of using the Head Gasket from the base kit... get a Fel-Pro 1035 Head Gasket for the 2.3L... it used as a replcement for the turbo cars and puts up good to abuse.

as for the cats... I ran hollow on my 2.3L N/A Stang. and run way smaller on my Merkur... Passed Emmisions for Visual and Smog.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
K, which felpro kit? I think I saw a KS2339 or something like that?? I also saw a speedpro kit from summit..

How about an oil pump, I was going to go high vol so I am ready for feeding a turbo later..

I will look at cleaning my existing cats out a bit and see what happens.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
lamrith said:
How about an oil pump, I was going to go high vol so I am ready for feeding a turbo later..
The oil pump for the Turbo motor is sufficient to push oil to the turbo using the oil pressure sender location as the source for the oil for turbo. (all turbo cars with the 2.3L use that as the oil feed source) this model pump in the 2.3L turbo motors is sufficient for ANY 2.3L and as a matter of fact... i think they are the same pumps as the 2.3L N/A

As for the Gasket Kit? I don't Know the Fel-Pro Kit... because I bought all my gaskets as separate kits... Intake... Exhaust... Head... Shortblock... Etc. But Specify you want the Fel-Pro 1035 Head Gasket forr the replacement... you wont have any problems.

Warning:

FYI - Turbo motors are also Lower compression and have forged internals compared to the N/A Motors. If you feed any substantial boost to an N/A motor with the N/A Parts... your motor will Fail... The Turbo motors are built with stronger Internals to deal with the Extreme Temperatures of Boosted Cylinder Pressures.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LXR4Ti said:
The oil pump for the Turbo motor is sufficient to push oil to the turbo using the oil pressure sender location as the source for the oil for turbo. (all turbo cars with the 2.3L use that as the oil feed source) this model pump in the 2.3L turbo motors is sufficient for ANY 2.3L and as a matter of fact... i think they are the same pumps as the 2.3L N/A

As for the Gasket Kit? I don't Know the Fel-Pro Kit... because I bought all my gaskets as separate kits... Intake... Exhaust... Head... Shortblock... Etc. But Specify you want the Fel-Pro 1035 Head Gasket forr the replacement... you wont have any problems.

Warning:

FYI - Turbo motors are also Lower compression and have forged internals compared to the N/A Motors. If you feed any substantial boost to an N/A motor with the N/A Parts... your motor will Fail... The Turbo motors are built with stronger Internals to deal with the Extreme Temperatures of Boosted Cylinder Pressures.
Well if they are the same then I will get the normal one. I just thought I heard the turbo cars had a high volume unit. and figured it should not hurt anything to upgrade anyway as the price difference was small.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Get the roller cam from a dual plug 2.3L (~'89or newer Ranger or '91> & newer Mustang) also get the cam followers & Hyd. lash adjusters. Bolt in swap & more power. The slider cams are the basically same for all 2.3's, the roller cam has almost the same lift but gains power by reducing friction losses.

The combustion chambers are bigger on the turbo heads. If you use one on a N/A engine you WILL lose power.

The only internal difference I know of between the N/A & Turbo 2.3 is the pistons, the turbo engines NEED forged pistons. The crank & rods are the same.

P.S. A lot of the turbo guys pull turbo engines from the bone yard, pull the head & oil pan to take a look, bolt on a ported head, intakes, BIG turbo & go racing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
As you said the pistons are forged on the turbo motor.
They are also smaller to give a larger clearance about 5 thousandths i think. That lets them heat up more without seizing.

I'll make the same suggestion I've made here before.
Check out Circle Track Magazine.
It's a great source for 2.3 info.

Just a comment!
If there is anything proven about these engines it is that they are bullet proof. My 1979 mustang turbo cobra has over 200,000 miles. I bought it new. Over the years I have hit redline with it daily. I change the oil when I feel like it.
I have snapped 3 timing belts and a headgasket. It still has the original valves and pistons. It still runs great.

G

·
The 2.3L 4-cylinder Ford is the toughest little engine I've ever seen, find a motor at the pick-a-part, check the condition and amount of oil, run a compression check, and if both are good? buy it, drop it in, and have fun. Hell, I pulled a 300,000 mile 2.3 out of my '74 Mustang because it smoked a little (and not nearly as bad as a lot of heaps on the road these days) and replaced it with a 200,000 mile 2.3 originially from a 1988 Ranger that had seen 3 years of HARD use in my 1988 Mustang. (including a 75hp shot of nitrous once in awhile).

·
Registered
206 Posts
hey..... put the rods from a 98 ranger in it for a test!!!:) I think they are 5.457, where as the rods you have are 5.2047.... this might get you a few more pony's!!! if so please post!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.