Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
First off I have to start this by saying thank you to my wife, she was the one that told me we were going to go meet my brother-in-law's new girl friend in Baton Rouge, and then put me in front of a 2008 Roush Blackjack sitting on a dealers showvvvrroom floor. In addition to the Blackjack there were several others and I walked away from the Blackjack and found my self buying a black Stage3 with white stripes. The black rims just did nothing for me so yea,, I walked. (she was a little shocked)
Just put the first 1000 miles on my brand new toy, and I have to say I have had a great time so far, but,, the kid in me is wanting MORE!!! Right now it is all "stock from Roush". I would like to see an additional 200 rwhp but don't want to destroy the street driveability and don't want to spend another truck load to do it either. 600 Hp seems reasonable doesn't it??? Even 500 would be nice. Any ideas? The handleing of the car is great but I want to be able to eat vetts as well,, so,, that is the drive to get the 6 more would be col too though.
I have always wanted a muscle car but am getting older (45) so I was looking into the BMW's and Merc's. I figured a few years more and I would have been more of a road hazard so I went for it now, warrenty isn't the greatest, longevity is of course questionable with the supercharger, and of course I'll be buying more tires cause I take advantage of any op to romp it a little (1000 miles so no I have not really gotten into it yet) just enough to hear the charger wind up a few times
So any ideas for more power?? Cold air intake is a must as well, chip or ecm I think it is, stock Roush exhaust is a little to quiet, etc... just for a start

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
40,151 Posts
welcome to the site,enjoy,nice ride!!!!

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
Welcome... 600 hp is pushing the bounds of the stock engine internals. Also have to be careful with a CAI. It will void your Roush warranty if you remove the stock airbox.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
pushing internals

Was thinking the same about the internals, but the P-51 is also a 4.6 at 510 so there has to be a few things I can , get done to it, and for the CAI I saw the Roush unit so as long as I go with that one there "shouldn't be" an issue. As for internals was thinking of the forged pistons with all the bits that go with that set up etc..
and maybe a cam but have to find where the boundries are for warrenty and capable/ cert' mechs. Last thing I want to do at this point is void anything and see it sitting dead in my yard for the next 5 yrs while I pay it off

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
Was thinking the same about the internals, but the P-51 is also a 4.6 at 510 so there has to be a few things I can , get done to it, and for the CAI I saw the Roush unit so as long as I go with that one there "shouldn't be" an issue. As for internals was thinking of the forged pistons with all the bits that go with that set up etc..
and maybe a cam but have to find where the boundries are for warrenty and capable/ cert' mechs. Last thing I want to do at this point is void anything and see it sitting dead in my yard for the next 5 yrs while I pay it off
The connecting rods and the hyperteuric pistons are the weak links in this engine. The stock 4.6 engine seems to be good for up to 475 rwhp (~545 at the crank) but the tune has to be very, very good since the pistons do not react well to any detonation.

Wasn't aware that Roush had finally released a cold air intake.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1st oil change,, and with what

Hey Stlwagon,
Thanks for the input I took a look at your car and see you did the air K&M filter notice any differance??
Also since I am now at the 1k mark I want to go ahead and change the oil, do these engines require a special oil, is one really better than the other? Sorry for the newb question but I have been driving my Lincoln LSE and just do the recomended oil for it. New toy has my full attention and care.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
Hey Stlwagon,
Thanks for the input I took a look at your car and see you did the air K&M filter notice any differance??
Also since I am now at the 1k mark I want to go ahead and change the oil, do these engines require a special oil, is one really better than the other? Sorry for the newb question but I have been driving my Lincoln LSE and just do the recomended oil for it. New toy has my full attention and care.
First off, I went ahead and move the thread to the 2005+ area. As for oil, no need to change before the recommended interval. I use the Motorcraft 5-20 synthetic blend and motorcraft filters but others use Mobil1, Amsoil, and Royal Purple. The key is to stick with the recommended weight.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Congrats and welcome! That is a very nice and beautiful car! :bigthumbsup.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Congratulations

Congrats!!!! You will Love the Roush. Another sweet site for info is fnsweet.com. with all ford mustangs and fnsweet there is not a question that you can't get the answer to!!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
i think that some people have to run different weights because of S/C applications, but that standard for the 4.6 is 5W-20. I personally use Mobil 1 and have great results and could not be happier :)

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
does the saleen 281 come with a CAI?

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
thats a good-lookin ride! welcome to AFM!

·
Registered
11 Posts
From one Roush owner to another You've got a sweet ride!!

I'll second the comment to check out the FNSWeet site - Great Roush info there! Roush hasn't released a CAI for the Stage3 vehicles yet!! I just added Stage3motorsports S/C upgrade CAI and Tune to my car but it did totally kill my warranty! I have 20,000 miles - have had a couple issues - got them fixed and decided that if it was going to break it would have done it by now so I took my chances!

Frequent comment on FNSweet is these cars are safe to about 450 -500 RWHP and after that start reinforcing the weak links!! Have fun, mod and build and drive and remember we only live once so do it with a smile!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Looks good. The Stage3 was my second choice if I couldn't get the one I found. Mine had to be black.
Check out goroush.com (ROEA) as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys

Thought for sure I had seen a CAI for the Stage three, but guess not (Yet !!) Hard to believe that something so simple would kill a warrenty. Guess I need to start saving to get the pistons, crank, and rods,, and etc... But cracking open a new engine just seems like one of those things you really just should not do. Maybe I should wait for the 36k to hit but, train of thought is all is new,, so now would be prime time to get it all done.
400 is fun but a little yawny,,
500 would be better and would have my attention

600+ would be cool then I could go hunt vett drivers.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Congrats on the new ride, and welcome to AFM.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You don't need 600hp to hunt Corvettes. You'll do fine bone stock as long as you don't run up against a Z06.

·
Registered
41,825 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.