Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 2015 Mustang GT with only 200 miles. This is my first "New" new car so I'm not sure about the engine break in period. Any information or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
63 Posts
Congrats and of course I have to put this...:postpics

And your answer straight from Ford on the Coyote V-8:
BREAKING-IN YOUR VEHICLEY---our vehicle does not need an extensive break-in. Try not to drive continuously at the same speed for the first 1,000 miles (1,600 km) of new vehicle operation. Vary your speed frequently in order to give the moving parts a chance to break in.

Drive your new vehicle at least 100 miles (160 km) before performing extended wide open throttle maneuvers and at least 1,000 miles(1,600 km) before towing a trailer or before performance/competition conditions.

J.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I just picked up a 2015 Mustang GT with only 200 miles. This is my first "New" new car so I'm not sure about the engine break in period. Any information or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks
Hey Alvo,

First of all, congrats on the purchase man! Let's see some pictures of this beast!

In regards to the break in, I personally simply drive the car at varying speeds without going WOT for the first 500 miles, and then drive it pretty hard for the next 500. After that, you're good to go and don't have to worry about anything!

I have done this on my previous two Coyotes and have never had an issue.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions.

-Will

·
Registered
755 Posts
It already had 200 miles on it when you bought it? Were those "test drive" miles? If so it's probably already been broken in....the hard way. 0:)

Congrats on the new pony.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Opinions vary on oil changes. I would wait till at least 3,000 miles. Rumor has it there's an additive by Ford at the factory for break in. Even if this isn't true I would still put a couple thousand miles on then change the oil and filter both. Go from there. I think 10,000 mile intervals is cool by Ford but it scares me. I change oil on all my vehicles every 5,000 minimum when running synthetic or synthetic blend.

Again just my opinion. If anybody has any facts please share as I get my car tomorrow.

·
Registered
308 Posts
If you already have 200 miles on it then it is pretty much broke-in, hopefully they didn't baby it. About the only things on a modern car engine that need much break-in are the piston rings to the honed walls of the cylinders, this happens in the first 50 miles or so. If your oil stays pretty clean between changes you'll know it got broke-in well.:wink:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts