Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New 302 build !!! NEED THE EXPERTS!!!

4K views 32 replies 12 participants last post by  ramz28 
#1 ·
im building a 302 need some help on parts. which parts are better for heads
the new AFR 165cc heads or the gt-40 heads?
also the gt-40 intake or edel intake? 1st time building an engine so any parts list would be great.

#3 ·
AFR heads seem to be the best, but edelbrock and trick flow have great aluminum heads too, and they also have complete packages with cam heads and intake. If you are building an engine and have some time, save the money and stay away from the GT-40 stuff, its good for factory type heads/intakes, but they are cast iron and are not as good of performers compared the the aforementioned brands.

#7 ·
Stangboy5666 said:
AFR heads seem to be the best, but edelbrock and trick flow have great aluminum heads too, and they also have complete packages with cam heads and intake. If you are building an engine and have some time, save the money and stay away from the GT-40 stuff, its good for factory type heads/intakes, but they are cast iron and are not as good of performers compared the the aforementioned brands.
The GT-40 intake is not cast iron its aluminum and they do have aluminum heads but I would go with the AFR's. And its actually a pretty good intake, if you look at comparison numbers it pretty much matches the competetion, except in higher rpm's where it tends to fall a bit short.

#8 ·
Thread jack sort of, Edelbrock Performers w/1.90 valves and Trickflow heads w/2.02 valves can use stock pistons correct?

#9 ·
I'm not saying that this will work for your engine, but I used the Ford 1.7 rockers with my AFR 185 heads and I don't have any clearance problems. My bottom end is from a Lincoln (yes it is an HO) and I am not sure of the year model it came from.

#10 ·
STONECOLD said:
The GT-40 intake is not cast iron its aluminum and they do have aluminum heads but I would go with the AFR's. And its actually a pretty good intake, if you look at comparison numbers it pretty much matches the competetion, except in higher rpm's where it tends to fall a bit short.
Dude, the originals off the Cobra were all cast iron. They do have the GT40X heads which are aluminum, but they cot over 1000 bucks and they are still only a GT40 head, theyre not that great. Also I have a GT40 "Cobra" intake and it is cast iron, but the actual tubular GT40 I dont know if it is aluminum or not, but I dont see why it would be because the lower intake is cast iron...

#12 ·
Stangboy5666 said:
Dude, the originals off the Cobra were all cast iron. They do have the GT40X heads which are aluminum, but they cot over 1000 bucks and they are still only a GT40 head, theyre not that great. Also I have a GT40 "Cobra" intake and it is cast iron, but the actual tubular GT40 I dont know if it is aluminum or not, but I dont see why it would be because the lower intake is cast iron...
Yes the originals are cast iron but as you pointed out there are the GT-40X which are aluminum (That was my point.) and im pretty sure they have different specs. What you have is a Cobra intake, there is no GT-40 Cobra intake, they are different intakes. I have the GT-40 and its aluminum, considerably lighter than the cast iron intakes. (The lower is not aluminum, as you pointed out.)

#13 ·
Stangboy5666 said:
Also I have a GT40 "Cobra" intake and it is cast iron, but the actual tubular GT40 I dont know if it is aluminum or not, but I dont see why it would be because the lower intake is cast iron...
STONECOLD said:
What you have is a Cobra intake, there is no GT-40 Cobra intake, they are different intakes. I have the GT-40 and its aluminum, considerably lighter than the cast iron intakes. (The lower is not aluminum, as you pointed out.)
Can I have a hit of the pipe you guys are smoking? (not trying to rattle cages, just have not seen a cast iron lower GT40)

I have a 94 Cobra with Cobra GT40 intake. It is all aluminum, upper and lower. I would like to see one of these cast iron GT40 or Cobra lowers. Maybe off a marine boat engine?

The Cobra intake uses the same lower intake as the GT40 (which is cast aluminum). The uppers are different but share a “similar” design. The 95-96 Lightning’s have a 351W GT 40 intake (the lower, also aluminum). I have one of these to swap a 351W into my 94 Cobra and use the Cobra’s upper.

#14 ·
seems the threads goin another way. well just got off the phone with AFR said all 302 blocks need to be notched for the heads. any ideas of what to do instead of gettin it notched ? also i need a nice cam im usen a stock block from summit. should i get new pistons and notch those or the stock ones good? what bout gettin it bored out? hurd it aint good idea for a new block but these AFR heads are supposedly real good but i dont have a machine shop anywhere near me. thanks guys

#15 ·
ramz28 said:
seems the threads goin another way. well just got off the phone with AFR said all 302 blocks need to be notched for the heads. any ideas of what to do instead of gettin it notched ? also i need a nice cam im usen a stock block from summit. should i get new pistons and notch those or the stock ones good? what bout gettin it bored out? hurd it aint good idea for a new block but these AFR heads are supposedly real good but i dont have a machine shop anywhere near me. thanks guys
the BLOCK needs to be notched? I don't think so, I think that you mis-understood them. The reason that the 86 pistons need to be notched is symple, they are flat top pistons, if there is a valve recess in the piston, it should be fine, just clay the engine before final assembley.

As for the intakes, STAY AWAY FROM THE NEW FRPP INTAKES! They are made by the same people that make the crappy Typhoon intakes, and since they are, the ports are not even round! If you find an orrigional FRPP intake that has a Ford casting number on it and does not say Made in China, then they are good intakes. I would personally look at the Trick Flow family of intakes if I was in the market for a new one at this time

#16 ·
I am confused.
If you are building a complete new moter why would you put 1.7 rockers on it? Get your cam heads and intake settled on and then buy your pistons to match.
I havent seen your goals listed for the moter? 250, 300, 350, 400 hp?

Street strip, 302 I would go afr 165, Custom cam, Performer RPM manifold. Some flat top with valve relief pistons, rebuilt stock crank and rods.

#17 ·
JUSTNLX said:
Can I have a hit of the pipe you guys are smoking? (not trying to rattle cages, just have not seen a cast iron lower GT40)

I have a 94 Cobra with Cobra GT40 intake. It is all aluminum, upper and lower. I would like to see one of these cast iron GT40 or Cobra lowers. Maybe off a marine boat engine?

The Cobra intake uses the same lower intake as the GT40 (which is cast aluminum). The uppers are different but share a “similar” design. The 95-96 Lightning’s have a 351W GT 40 intake (the lower, also aluminum). I have one of these to swap a 351W into my 94 Cobra and use the Cobra’s upper.
Ok, maybe the lower is too, I just hadnt seen it in a while.

#18 ·
alright lets straighten stuff up

I want a 302 engine with at least 450hp w/o a supercharger. i prolly put a paxton supercharger later on. i will be doing alot of racing with this car but i want to be able to maintaine street drivability. Im not to sure about parts as this is the first time building 1. so right now searchin the posts and reading what u guys write. y wouldnt i put 1.7? i hurd 1.7 will stop valve float that happens around 6000rpms with these heads and y not the 185cc? up for all recomendations

#19 ·
ramz28 said:
alright lets straighten stuff up

I want a 302 engine with at least 450hp w/o a supercharger.

You want a DART block or a FRPP block with a 4 bolt main, ESPECIALLY if you plan to add boost later. You will need to make it into a 347, and you will need BIG ports on thos heads with BIG valves.

a 331 with 185 AFR's, a big custom bumpstick, an Edelbrock air gap and a 750 Holly double pumper will make about 340 RWHP through a Tremic 3550 and a 9 inch

#21 ·
well alot of ppl seem disagree on putten 185cc heads on a 302 they all say go with 165cc and 1.6 rockers so now im bak where i started. are there any 302 with a 4 bolt main? and droppin a 347 whats the difficuly on that? eninge mounts and stock chasis parts would fit? what my clearence like for the headers?

#23 ·
ramz28 said:
well alot of ppl seem disagree on putten 185cc heads on a 302 they all say go with 165cc and 1.6 rockers so now im bak where i started. are there any 302 with a 4 bolt main? and droppin a 347 whats the difficuly on that? eninge mounts and stock chasis parts would fit? what my clearence like for the headers?
a 347 is a 302 that is bored .030" over and has a .4" over stroke.

Wanting to add boost to a 302 block making 450 hp will crack it unless it is a race block. A FRPP M-6010-R302 block retails for $1895.00.

The reason why people say to go with a 165 AFR and 1.6 rockers on a 302 is for street drivability. Your output desires would not be achieved with those heads

#25 ·
hey ramz28 this is just another sugestion,maybe this will help you get on the right path. I have built this combo before ,for a customer. get a 347 streetfighter kit from coast high performance ,get a set of afr 205 heads ,if your going to run a carb ,then go with a 750 speed demon from barry grant. you'll need 1.75 primary diameter long tube headers,as far as the cam goes use a compcams xe282hr hyd.roller ,compcams 1.6 rocker arms,i use the hi-tech stainless.you'll need a good ignition like msd for an intake use a edelbrock victor jr. with this set up i got 473hp@6200 rpm and 452lbs.-ft@5300rpm .if you plan on installing a blower then you'll need a lower compression ratio than this motor has ,so just talk to the tech guys at coast and they can substitute the flat top pistons for dished pistons. as for a block you can use a stock 5.0 block with a main studgirdle ,and mainstuds from arp .if your going to go heavy on the boost ,then go ahead and get a a motosport block or a d.s.s level 10 block. and in case your wondering the guy who i built this motor for drives it everyday! its in a 89 lx ,with a tremec 5 spd . goodluck and remember you can allways call those big parts companys with questions .they dont allways want to sell something!

#26 ·
As you can see your going to get alot of different opinions on what to go with. I dont agree that you cant make the numbers your after with 165's, depending on the supporting parts of course. But in any case try contacting the builders over at www.dssracing.com. They can give you a more informed answer.

I would go with a 331 and either 185's or 165's, you cant go wrong with either set of heads, especially if your going to add a blower to the mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.