Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I'm building a new 306. I'm trying to get a estimated quarter mile and a estimated horsepower I'll be putting out. Here is what's goin in the new build. Bored .030 over with notched flat top pistons, e303 cam with 1.7rr's, all new and upgraded valvetrain, original 93 cobra gt-40 heads, trickflow track heat intake, 70 mm tb, a c&l 73 mm maf, and a bbk cai. Exhaust is bbk shorties, off-road h-pipe, and Borla xr-1 mufflers. I have a king cobra clutch, stock t-5, 4.10s and I'll be running either nitto555r or nitto nt05r 275/40r17. Suspension upgrades are bbk front lowering springs and I'll be installing 4cyl rear coil spring, Frpp rear control arms, a bbk strut tower brace bar, and probably a rear sway bar. Any info will help. I realize this isn't the best engine build but it's a temporary build.

I ran the car at the track with nothing but a 70 mm tb, a spectre filter, stock maf, shorty headers, o/r h-pipe, and slp lm1s, 4.10s and stock 225/55r16 rears was a 14.2 @ 99.2. At the time the car had a bent push rod which forced me to shift right at 5k. 60 ft times sucked because of traction problem but I know the car would run around a 13.8.

Later on I will be changing the build for a comp xr270 cam and afr 185 heads as well as longtubes, x-pipe, and keeping the borla xr-1s but for now this will be my daily driver

·
Registered
912 Posts
i havent heard any good on the nitto drag radials there more of a street tire, if your looking for grip at the track go with a micky tompson d/r

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My buddy has Mickey thompsons on his mustang and they do alright. This will be more of a street car than a track car though. Once I get the nitto's hot I think they will do alright

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Nittos are junk get the Toyos for the street. That setup will only be about 25-30 more hp than stock.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure how that would only bring 25-30 more horsepower but I just wanna make it to the high 12s. I've seen plenty of people run the same setup with a little head porting and dyno tuning it put down 280 to the tires. And stock 5.0s put down 180-195. Fords e-cam crate engine with gt-40s, 9.0:1 cr, and flat tops is 330 horsepower so.....

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And if nitto's are junk check out 5.0 mustangs and fast fords magazine... Can't be junk if they have tested them and 1000+ rwhp cars on them...

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
LOL you believe everything you read! Ill sell you a bridge for real cheap. No 1000hp car is running drag radials unless they are hoosiers. And that setup you have is the 93 cobra with a .030 over bore which only adds 10 hp so look up a 93 factory hp and then add 10 more hp thats what you got well and plus the 9:1 compression, you may see 250 rwhp would be my guess.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the issue of the magazine... Something about 1000 horsepower shootout on the cover... They are all running nitto's... Best time was a low 10. I know that isn't fast but there is 8 second mustangs on drag radials... Google it. And still not sure how doing all that stuff would only bring me to 250. Could somebody who has a similar build reply to the post???

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
As for the tires, go with the M/T ET Street Radials. They hook GREAT, and they do pretty good on the street. They aren't great in the rain, but I drive mine in the rain without too much problem.
Spdjnky's probably right on your power. Those GT40 heads are alright and can make power with some work, but if you just bolt them on you'll see around 250hp. If I were you, I would save some money and just get a GT40 intake rather than the Track Heat. The Track heat is a little much for those heads, but if you are going to get a Track Heat, upgrade to a 75mm throttle body to match the intake.
If you really want a solid 12 second car, spend a little more money and get the Trick Flow heads, or even AFRs.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
If you want a solid 12 sec car you better drop another $1k in suspension if you are still stock there too.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As for the tires, go with the M/T ET Street Radials. They hook GREAT, and they do pretty good on the street. They aren't great in the rain, but I drive mine in the rain without too much problem.
Spdjnky's probably right on your power. Those GT40 heads are alright and can make power with some work, but if you just bolt them on you'll see around 250hp. If I were you, I would save some money and just get a GT40 intake rather than the Track Heat. The Track heat is a little much for those heads, but if you are going to get a Track Heat, upgrade to a 75mm throttle body to match the intake.
If you really want a solid 12 second car, spend a little more money and get the Trick Flow heads, or even AFRs.
Thanks finally somebody who actually knows what they are talking about. The reason I didn't get a trickflow street heat intake was because when I originally listed all the parts I wanted, the cam and and tb was supposed to be different. But as I started ordering it was costing more than I wanted so I ended up gettin a e cam and sticking with the intake. Like I said eventually I'll go with afr's and a bigger tb and maf. I'm pretty much matching a 93 specs though. Slightly bigger maf, cai, exhaust, and cam I hoped to put down around 250 to the tires. Is your car dyno'd?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I have not hit the dyno yet. I'm still working out a couple bugs with it, but hopefully soon I'll get a tune.
Don't ignore spdjnky. He is smart and you can learn a lot from him, though he won't always tell you what you want to hear.
You just have to learn to accept his brutal truth and lack of optimism.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry spdjinky. I just want the car to touch the 12s. Hell a 12.99 would make me happy. I'm also doing a rear seat delete, a/c Compressor delete, and i removed the padding out of the hatch above the spare. Lol and what cam are you running? All of my upgrades are in the 2nd paragraph. Everything is stock except for front bbk lowering springs. My rear left side of the car sits lower than the rear right so I'm not sure what that is about. So if I did go with the Mickey thompsons and all the upgrades I listed, you don't think I'll get to the 12.9s?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
It's hard saying if you would hit high 12s. I would come down to how good of a tune you get and how well you can drive the car. Driving on the street is one thing, but in order to get your best time, you need to practice on a track at Test and Tune nights. With a good tune and some practice, you may be able to break 12s.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I believe a 93 cobra had 235 hp. So I figured with a cai I would add 5hp. Headers and o/r h-pipe and lm1s I figured I would pick up 12-15 horsepower. Plus a e-cam I hoped 20. So I hoped to get around 275 horsepower. Plus a trickflow intake soooo a extra 10-15? Underdrive pullies later too. Correct me if my horsepower estimations are wrong.

·
Registered
912 Posts
if your shooting for 12s your going to need the stickiest tire, and a good suspension, like spd said your not going to be making a ton of power.

·
Registered
912 Posts
even if you made 275 hp thats at the crank and i think your estmates there are a little high, but that would ony put you at 210-225 at the tires if im thinking right, i may be off on that

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
you cant think in terms of every component adding its own power amount. Think about it as a package. How much more power are you heads capable of over stock heads, and how much of that can the rest of the steup support?

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
You can get 12.99 with some weight loss and suspension tuning, on a stock build. Which no offense but your is pretty much stock. Gt40's arent worth anything for performance other than a few hp. You can port them and get some more but then you are into them for as much as you would be a good set of TFS 170's or Afr 165's. Those two heads can double what th gt40 can do. Youll see what i mean as soon as you hit the dyno. My fresh build, gt40P's, x303 cam, tfs intake, underdrives, ac and power steering delete, 70mm tb, etc only put out 220rwhp on the dyno. Granted I had a zx3 ECM in there with 24 #inj so that was part of it. My gt40p'S are going to make the same compression as your flat top pistons pretty much. So you can say what you want but Im usually right on the $. And 250rwhp was being very lenient on your build so dont be suprised when you only hit 230 rwhp.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks. Like I said launching at 3k with stock 225/55r16s was a 14.2 at 99.2. It would completely through 2nd... When it caught was at 5k in 2nd. Now I have roll raced 13 second mustangs and I would beat them to 100. So I know with a launch I could get at least a 13.8. So maybe with a 4000 launch and those upgrades a 12.9 wouldn't be too hard

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.