Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just had my 331 dyno tuned by Brian at High Tech Motor Sports in Elk River MN. I have the Trick Flow street heat top end on it with the cam that comes with that kit. Trick Flow stated I should get 400 hp with this set up. My dyno numbers are 300 rwhp and 340 rear wheel torque. What do you guys think. I know I picked the wrong parts to make bigger power but I thought it would do better. I have about 300 miles on this new motor and also noticed I have lost about a quarter of a quart of oil. My builder said not to worry.

Thanks for you opinions.

Mark

·
Registered
517 Posts
wow theirs something seriously wrong there i make 375 horse with my 302... did you get the car tuned by a shop??

·
Registered
575 Posts
wow theirs something seriously wrong there i make 375 horse with my 302... did you get the car tuned by a shop??
Which is about 300 rwhp.

And OP, its probably just choked a bit because of the heads and intake. Just throw a turbo on and call it a day. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
517 Posts
375 rwhp :gringreen dont know how but the people who built the motor knew what they were doing

·
Registered
371 Posts
375 flywheel horsepower would be a lil bit more than 300.. remember its a ~15% loss... it would be more like 320. but none the less you number are a little lower than i expected also. i have seen people make a lil more power with those heads also. the cam is a little small with a 331 also.. if it is the stage 1 cam

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
375 rwhp :gringreen dont know how but the people who built the motor knew what they were doing
i'll call BS
not with the parts listed in your sig
post the dyno graph immediately

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
To the OP, what kinda build was it?
Compression?
Who built it?

Sometimes new motors burn a little oil but not to worry but how the hell did you measure a quarter of a quart of oil?

Well the cam and intake are on the small side but you should still be putting out more than that. Did you guys mess with timing and fuel?

Post up the graph.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will post the graph. I had baiers engines build my motor. They typically build circle track race engines. He thinks the numbers are ok. I feel they are a little weak. I mearsued 1/4 quart by how much it took to fill it back to full. High Tech motor sports are the ones who did my dyno tune. You can look them up on line. They know what they are doing. They did not seem concerned at all, and told me I made some wrong choices with my intake and cam. I think Trick Flow likes to inflate the numbers a bit on what there stuff can do.

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
the intake and cam are designed for a 302,and even then,leave alot on the table..the heads are ok for a 331,but still a tad on the smaller side..port the heads,get a real cam and intake and you'll stand to gain quite a bit IMO

trickflows top-end package HP ratings are based on a 306 cid motor,and thats flywheel hp...

once again, 302 parts make 302 power

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Like Need said those parts/package were designed for a 302. Those numbers are flywheel based. Also I question the engine builder saying that those number are "OK" cause those numbers can be attained by a 302 all day long. You didn't answer what internal do you have and what compression? Also not to be a "Richard" but look at a car that we built at my friends shop.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/5-0l-talk/301951-impressive-dyno-video.html

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for your opinion. I wish I would of picked some different parts but it is what it is. I was going with what the Trick Flow guy said. I still thought I would do better with the extra cubic inches. Once I get my 3.73 grears installed it should still be a fun car to drive.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am at work right now so I am not sure about the compression. I think it was in the 9.6 to 1 ball park. I have a Eagle cast steel crank Keith Black hyper pistons 75 mm throttle body. It was professionally built and tuned. What could be the cause of low power or is this just reality with this parts list.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I also call bs on your 375 rwhp...

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
I was going with what the Trick Flow guy said.
order takers not engine builders...

if you're not going to tear down the motor to swap the cam or intake, maybe at least throw some 1.7 rockers on there to get another .030" or so lift out of the cam..should be a decent pickup for the $$..assuming your valve springs can handle the extra lift

you can also try to advance the timing and such

what was the a/f ratio at WOT?
where is the timing set at now?
what other supporting mods do you have?
fuel system?
exhaust?

thru a 5spd or auto trans?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am ok with it for now. I am new to this so I am learning as I go. Yes the builder could of been a little bit more helpful with parts selection but thats all in the past. It makes sense to me that I am choking the engine a little with the parts I selected but I guess I was hoping for a little more with what I have. As long as there is nothing wrong mechanically I am happy. I runs and sounds good. If I would of known about High Tech Motor Sports when I started this whole thing I would of had them do the motor. Brian is quite a guy when it comes to this stuff. I was very impressed with them. I am also happy with Corey who built my engine. Very nice people.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Now now now let's not count the chickens before they hatch.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I am guessing you maxed out the injectors. Pretty sure 24# will kick the bucket around 300 so that could be your issue, also what fuel pump are you running? Post the dyno charts please :winks

·
Registered
34 Posts
You have a good base, I'd just save and upgrade a little at a time. Longtubes with a prochamber h-pipe, Get rid of the street intake and pick up an rpmII or systemax II intake. Pick up some afr 185's or tfs fast as cast 190's. sell what you have and recupe some of your money. Also, pick up a custom cam or research a better off the shelf cam (Anderson has some good ots cams). What does your whole combo consist of?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts