Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello, Just thought I'd say hi and post a couple pics, Picked this car up at the end of december, it has 18000 miles and is in mint shape. Unfortunately I haven't had it for the past 3 weeks cause some kid hit it while it was parked and f'ed up the quarter panel, but my buddy chased him and his insurance is paying for it, plus I got a free catback out of it, I went with the SLP LM1 , I should be picking it up tommorow the shop has been waiting on the exhaust. So, for questions,
1. What is the widest tires that will fit the stock rims, front without rubbing and rear, I don't want to go with drag radials, but whats a good tire for straight line traction and will corner well?
2. Is there any software out there that will allow me to tune the car with my laptop, as opposed to buying a handheld tuner, I would rather use my laptop and I would like real time displays of all the functions while the car is running.
3. How much nitrous can the stock motor handle? Just for the track, in my research, it appears this motor is realitivly expensive to get serious power, so nitrous seems to be the cheapest way, with a tune, exhaust and intake.
4. Are there any auto shifters out there besides the B&M hammer, I had the megashifter in my camaro and really liked that one, I don't like the curves on the handle of the hammer.
Well, enough for now I guess, this site seems to offer a lot of info, but these Q's I figured I'd ask, thanks, Mike Also, here are a couple pic's, What do ya think, I love the Silver with the rims, I am gonna lower it and add a chin spoiler after my engine mod's, also there aere pic's of what that a**hole did to my car

·
Registered
49 Posts
what's wrong with it?

Nice car man!,but what happend to it? The pics look good until it shows the the damaged ones. I mean,don't get me wrong,that can be fixed really easy.
Did you do that?or did it come like that?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I bought it it was fine, as I said in my post, it was the victim of a hit and run, I was parken in front of my buddies house andsome a8sshole hit the car, so my buddy chased hi and got his plate #, insurance is paying for everything, new tail lights, catback exhaust, repair to 1/4 panels, bumper cover and paint.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Nice find, good thing your buddy got the tag number. Enjoy the car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Also, I was wondering about my rims, are they on all 03 gt's or were they an option, I really like them and I don't see them on that many gt's around here, thats why I bought the car, I was driving by the dealershipo and it caught my eye, the silver with those rims just took me in, 15 minutes later I was signing papers, I traded in my 2004 silverado ext. cab 4*4 and of course the day after I picked it up we had a friggin blizzard, lol, it was a great drive home from work, qcan't wait till summer

·
Registered
364 Posts
03silvergt said:
Thanks, Also, I was wondering about my rims, are they on all 03 gt's or were they an option, I really like them and I don't see them on that many gt's around here, thats why I bought the car, I was driving by the dealershipo and it caught my eye, the silver with those rims just took me in, 15 minutes later I was signing papers, I traded in my 2004 silverado ext. cab 4*4 and of course the day after I picked it up we had a friggin blizzard, lol, it was a great drive home from work, qcan't wait till summer
Those rims originally came on the '01 Bullitt edition. They were available from 2002 and up as an option on the "premium" GT. I have them on my 02, and I think they're the best-looking stock rims ever put on a Mustang,
You'll hear people refer to them as "bullet rims". You can get Deep Dish versions (check mustangtuning.com) in a 17x10.5" (also 18x10.5) size which will allow you to mount up to a 315 wide tire.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Hi 03silvergt

Nice car! to bad that a$$ hit you!

03silvergt said:
1. What is the widest tires that will fit the stock rims, front without rubbing and rear, I don't want to go with drag radials, but whats a good tire for straight line traction and will corner well?
Go with a Goodyear Eagle F1, I would keep the stock dimension 245/45 17

03silvergt said:
2. Is there any software out there that will allow me to tune the car with my laptop, as opposed to buying a handheld tuner, I would rather use my laptop and I would like real time displays of all the functions while the car is running.
I was looking for something like that too. It is a good Q. but the gains are not a lot better than a handheld programmer. Since dyno shops have the information in their laptops, there has to be something around. I guess it is very pricy, $1,000+ because it does the encryption of the ECU's machine code.

03silvergt said:
3. How much nitrous can the stock motor handle? Just for the track, in my research, it appears this motor is realitivly expensive to get serious power, so nitrous seems to be the cheapest way, with a tune, exhaust and intake.
Nitrous is and will always be the biggest bang per buck!
A good, save tune, with enough fuel pressure, will allow you a 100 HP shot. Key word: good tune!

03silvergt said:
4. Are there any auto shifters out there besides the B&M hammer, I had the megashifter in my camaro and really liked that one, I don't like the curves on the handle of the hammer.
Well, enough for now I guess, this site seems to offer a lot of info, but these Q's I figured I'd ask, thanks, Mike Also, here are a couple pic's, What do ya think, I love the Silver with the rims, I am gonna lower it and add a chin spoiler after my engine mod's, also there aere pic's of what that a**hole did to my car
I don't know about the shifter. But if your Stang is an auto I'd be cautious with that nitrous. Or at least do a shift improver first.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the insight, I personally never liked nitrous, but it seems to be the best route with this motor, I plan on doing a tune also, as for the auto trans, with a tuner I can adjust the shift points and line pressure, correct? I haven't seen any actual shift kits for it, I was under the impression that tuning the trans is all I could do.

·
Registered
701 Posts
See, I am not a big fan of cars running on the bottle.
The most important thing for me is a lot of low RPM torque. That's why I am saving for a roots style or a twin screw blower. Right now I got my money on the Kenne Bell non I/C kit. But that migt change...

Talking about the tranny:

Custom bands and custom clutches would be the best way to go. A good tranny shop should be able to do that.

Jacking up shift firmess (diablosport predator) will definitely help.
Just don't cry when your tranny goes to tranny heaven.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
hey nice car congrats

·
Registered
490 Posts
03silvergt said:
Sorry, The pic's are huge.... Anyone know the name of the color, its a metallic silver, year is 03
its real easy its called Silver Metallic which they made 21,216 of in 2003...

here is a website if you like to know more
2003 production numbers

That color is sweet!

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
I'm not real big on the bottle either, but everyone has their preferences.

·
Banned
2,185 Posts
Very nice car, but then again, it looks just like mine so of course I am going to like it. Yes, nitrous is the best bang for the buck, but I would not exceed a 100 shot. I have heard of guys pushing 150, but why risk it. Hopefully within the next few months I will be adding the deep dish rims from musting tuning along with some DR's, I will let you know how that goes when it happens. As for the tranny, can't help you there, as I prefer a manual. Good luck and enjoy!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.