Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, well I did it... I traded off my 2006 4.0 v6 to the new 2012 GT. I love it. I do have one question, I would like to have a tune and the boss 302 intake maybe the cat-back MAGNAFLOW EXHAUST. Will this void my new warrenty? My dealer said they were not sure, just would like to know if anyone has had any dealing with Ford about this?
Thanks,
mlt2

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hello all, well I did it... I traded off my 2006 4.0 v6 to the new 2012 GT. I love it. I do have one question, I would like to have a tune and the boss 302 intake maybe the cat-back MAGNAFLOW EXHAUST. Will this void my new warrenty? My dealer said they were not sure, just would like to know if anyone has had any dealing with Ford about this?
Thanks,
mlt2
Whatever the answer is, I would get it in writing. One dealer with whom I spoke offered to do all kinds of aftermarket add-ons. But I have also seen posts where someone said that aftermarket add-ons could void a warranty.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Read up on the Magnuson-Moss Act. In the simplest terms it protects you from adding aftermarket accys, the dealer can only void a part that can be proven to cause said failure.

Basically a catback exhaust can not deny warranty on the transmission going out.

You do run a risk of putting yourself in higher risk if you tune your car as motor issues could be denied but basic boltons such as exhaust, cai etc most dealers turn a blind eye too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. Right now I am stil getting use to the power of the gt from a v6 lol. I got the 3.73 (6sp) but now I am thinking I might have been better off with the higher one. The car seems very low geared. As long as I hit a forward gear it goes lol. The last v8 I had was a 1970 olds 455. Not use to having to crank lots of RPMs to get power. Also does anyone else think the engine does not pull very well untill 3,000??? Again it could be me.
Thanks,
mlt2

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Nice car. Going from a 4.0 to a 5.0 is a hell of an upgrade. Ford does not offer a tune for the Boss intake and that means the aftermarket tune for it will void your warranty.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I had the flywheel bolt issue (tsb) and lost my clutch do to it, needed the car taken in to dealer, I had installed catted x, magnaflow competition cat backs and a cai. I returned the car to stock tune prior but the dealership said nothing of the mods. But it was also a documented issue, I have since added a procharger which if I ever have a major issue I will be sure to remove prior to service by dealership...better safe than sorry! Add a cai and good tune and see the difference on your lower end! You'll be impressed

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ford power pack

Hey all, thanks for all the info. I may wait untill I can get a ford racing power pack for the 2012. I would say that should keep everything on the up and up with ford? Anyone know if the ford racing tune is any good? and yea... 4.0 to 5.0 = wow!!!!!!!!I will say my 4.0 had little to no lag.
Thanks,
mlt2

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hey all, thanks for all the info. I may wait untill I can get a ford racing power pack for the 2012. I would say that should keep everything on the up and up with ford? Anyone know if the ford racing tune is any good? and yea... 4.0 to 5.0 = wow!!!!!!!!I will say my 4.0 had little to no lag.
Thanks,
mlt2

Get a tune on that thing and you will lose the lag! IMO it's the drive by wire that creates a throttle lag once you do a tune it is a night and day difference :worship

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
man the 5.0 loves red. nice looking ride!

·
Registered
197 Posts
FRPP--you'll lose the lag and get the low rpm punch you're looking for.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
FRPP--you'll lose the lag and get the low rpm punch you're looking for.
Yeah it gives a bit more bottom end but a lot of people (me included) were getting spark knock. I think it just increases throttle response mostly giving the illusion your car is faster. Also there was a comparison someone did here a while ago between 3 or
4 tunes and the FRPP ProCal actually made LESS peak hp than stock lol. I don't feel that much of a difference having it off my car and with the spark knock and reading about another dude's car that had it's engine grenade while driving with this tune, I am sure glad I took it off and went back to stock. The minimal (and possible lower) horsepower gain/or loss is definitely not worth the risk. If you feel comfortable Ford Racing will stand by you and cover your ass should something happen, go for it.

Having 3.73's gives me all the low end punch I need.

People getting spark knock were either running 91 (adjusted ProCal for it) or 93 as well so it wasn't an octane issue. Get your cars on the rollers if you have this tune and make sure it is running well!

·
Registered
826 Posts
I had the flywheel bolt issue (tsb) and lost my clutch do to it, needed the car taken in to dealer, I had installed catted x, magnaflow competition cat backs and a cai. I returned the car to stock tune prior but the dealership said nothing of the mods. But it was also a documented issue, I have since added a procharger which if I ever have a major issue I will be sure to remove prior to service by dealership...better safe than sorry! Add a cai and good tune and see the difference on your lower end! You'll be impressed
Don't know about you, but I would be careful about posting this type of information on an open forum. Maybe I'm being too cautious, but a 2-second Google search revealed your cars pictures with legible New York plates. Secondly, we know Ford employees use these forums, and while we assume its for good intentions (customer relations), it wouldn't be too hard of a reach them to correlate your license plate to a VIN, and then flag your VIN with your postings.

Back to the topic. Aftermarket parts do not void your warranty. If an aftermarket component/part causes or contributes to a subsequent warranty claim, then the warranty claim will be denied and noted on your VIN with detailed information.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts