Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone! Just joined the site and I'm excited to get some good info! I previously had a 2000 v6 mustang as a teenager but just recently bought a 2001 gt convertible. It's in great condition with 50,000 miles on it. It's my daily driver but I want to mod it up a good bit. Right now I have SLP Loudmouth 1 cat back to be put on, looking at adding a SLP catted x pipe soon. Any other tips on mods would be great! I want to get as close to 350 HP as I can while keeping it N/A.

·
Registered
932 Posts
350 to the wheels is possible but N/A it will take ALOT of work and money to get there. I have dyno proof that I can get you to about 300 maybe more but here is what I used to get there. I am currently running nitrous on this engine and I am making 432 rwhp and 553 ft/lbs of torque.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/4-6l-tech/842898-recipe-300-rwhp-n-2v.html

There is my build and what I used to get there.

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
350 to the tires? One word...Nitrous...

To keep it N/A you can get to about 260-270 without opening the engine (full exhaust, UDP, plenum/TB, 93 tune).

Open the engine and add some cams and you will be close to 300whp.

How much money do you have to spend?

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
How much can you see yourself spending?

Heads + cams will get you over the 300 mark, but you're looking at almost $2,000 in parts alone. $3,000 if you use the Trick Flow heads (plus cams). If getting your hands that far into an engine ain't your thing, it's a fair amount of labor in terms of hours x whatever the shop rate, as a rough guess I'd say any shop familiar with these cars and engines would bill somewhere in the neighborhood of 8 to 10 hours.

Plus a dyno tune to not only get the most out of it but really just to get it running right after all that. There's another $200 - $300.

So just to recap, we're at somewhere between $2,500 and $4,500 for a net result of 300 - 320 rwhp. Maybe 330 if you're having an exceptional day. Lots of people seem to be getting bent over a barrel at the dyno lately though, so I'll stay conservative in my estimates and say 300 rwhp. I'm not trying to turn you off to an N/A build, sometimes I consider scrapping my hopes and dreams for an N/A build. Just want you to have a realistic set of expectations, that's all.

Making N/A power with these engines isn't easy and definitely not cheap. Which is why most people say to hell with it and just get a blower. You can get a complete centri setup for $4,500, bolt it up with one of your homeboys and a 12 pack and after dyno tune be sitting at 400rwhp.

You could always spray it like mentioned above also. IMO not as fun as f/i though, plus you still gotta deal with refilling the bottle. And there's a bit more involved than what's included in the "complete" N2O kits you see being sold. You'll want a bottle heater, window switch so you don't just blow the tires off when you try to launch, remote bottle opener is nice as well. And as always, dyno tune.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Welcome to AFM

1 - 8 of 8 Posts