Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the world of mustangs and i'm also not very mechanically inclined, however i would like some input on how i could make my ride a little faster, i'm not looking for anything crazy, just something.

I purchased a 2004 Ford Mustang V6 40th Anniversary Edition 3.9 Mustang at 101,200miles for $5,000. Its a very clean car, well taken care of, but its all stock!
Ive head of putting cold air intake or something about headers or something in it for a few more hp,but all i'm really looking for is something to help my acceleration. I don't know why, but it seems to accelerate so slow compared to my old 93 Honda Prelude i owned, and that was a 4cylinder wtf?

I understand my car is stock, but when i pull up next to someone in a sedan id like to beat them past the merge lane at least geeze.

How can i get my Mustang to accelerate Faster without getting crazy???Id Appreciate any input. thanks!

· Registered
3,756 Posts
welcome to the forum man, there is someone here you should meet, he's from the same city as you his name is redlyr, hell you probably know him :hihi:
plain and simple gears/t-lok for accel. and don't touch your headers in CA you will regret it! emissions inspections will kill you with all parts and install it will be about $700
www.americanmuscle.com has everything you need and they have great customer service/prices

· Registered
368 Posts
cai,exhaust,tuner,gears and tlock. also try some seafoam

· Registered
6,151 Posts
the number one thing you can do to a 3.8l v6 mustang is get a set of upgraded gears in the rear end, all of the other bolt-ons combined will get you maybe 20 hp if youre lucky and only a slight difference in acceleration and such... a new set of gears will be a kick in the pants compared to the slight nudge of everything else

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for the tips.

And davidcseifert in regards to the gears/t-lok would i have to upgrade them both at the same time? And whats the difference between the 3.73 Gears and the 4.10 Gears?

My Prelude was also automatic... surprisingly metalman302

· Registered
6,151 Posts
3.73 and 4.10 are a ratio, that is 3.73turns of the driveshaft to one turn of the wheels and 4.1 turns of the driveshaft to one turn of the wheels.. its all about increasing the mechanical advantage to the engine... it is strongly recommended to add a t-lock at the same time as gears since the differential has to come apart in the same way to do either swap

· Registered
3,756 Posts
..^..
.^^.
^^^

There is you answer :bigthumbsup
The reason why it is a great idea to do them together is that when you have the greater torque multiplication of the gears you can spin the tires so easily that it is ridiculous, the right tire would have more wear and tear on it than the left and when you rotate them to the front it would cause the car to jerk you around on the road whether it be a smooth or a rough road, been there done that, plus like mark said while your in there is the best time to do it, install cost will be cheaper that way
BTW I like the avatar :gringreen

· Registered
6,151 Posts
its allllll about leverage

· Registered
3,756 Posts
Oh yeah you can, I can spin both tires on take off with all my bolt stuff, I like getting sideways when there's no traffic haha, Those gears alone equal more than bolt ons, have fun and be careful

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.