Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.cnlperformance.com/05-06race.html

I have been waiting to see what this intake was all about and was looking to buy the JLT, but the overall quality of build seems to go to C&L and has a better shroud. But the JLT seems to have an open-ended filter which seems to be beneficial, according to 5.0 mag, January '06.
Now that they have one with plastic tubing....

Anyway, I started this thread in hopes of a good debate, Q&A, or whatever in hopes to make a final decision.
KJ - Your insight would be appreciated as well (as always)

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Waxed'05 GT said:

I have been waiting to see what this intake was all about and was looking to buy the JLT, but the overall quality of build seems to go to C&L and has a better shroud. But the JLT seems to have an open-ended filter which seems to be beneficial, according to 5.0 mag, January '06.

Anyway, I started this thread in hopes of a good debate, Q&A, or whatever in hopes to make a final decision.
LOL... I have allready metioned this one a couple of times... I did see a proto type maybe three weeks ago, one outa two, looks awesome! Seems a bit tricky to tune, might want/need headers do to volume in... (no place to go, need an open out...) But is easily the best CAI right now if you can back it up with other parts and tune, prolly a custom tune!

Took a otherwise stock auto into the mid 13's! Instantly!

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will eventually do long tubes and a charge motion delete plate well before ever adding a sc.I know in the past you had mentioned this system, and today was the first I ever saw of it and got the January 5.0 mag delivered yesterday. Kind of a toss up.

·
Registered
261 Posts
im actually dissapointed in the 5.0article.when it came to the wms cai they did not include the MD motorsport tune. the 23hp gains it showed had tobe without tune ( this is the hp gain WMS RACING said there cai would get without a tune.) with a tune more hp is to be expected . 5.0 dropped the ball here. if tunes are in order it would seem that hp gains of 35 or higher would be expected for the wms. still so many ?'s unanswered.vynle.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
It looks like the old one, but now it's made of cheaper plastic. I think I'll just put in the 'Tornado" from Ronco for some instant HP gains.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
vynle said:
im actually dissapointed in the 5.0article.when it came to the wms cai they did not include the MD motorsport tune. the 23hp gains it showed had tobe without tune ( this is the hp gain WMS RACING said there cai would get without a tune.) with a tune more hp is to be expected . 5.0 dropped the ball here. if tunes are in order it would seem that hp gains of 35 or higher would be expected for the wms. still so many ?'s unanswered.vynle.
Sorry, That was with a tune!

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
sonny1213 said:
It looks like the old one, but now it's made of cheaper plastic. I think I'll just put in the 'Tornado" from Ronco for some instant HP gains.
True, but bigger and cheaper... Good luck with the Tornado, get a Octane Booster at the same time! :winks

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Waxed'05 GT said:
I will eventually do long tubes and a charge motion delete plate well before ever adding a sc.I know in the past you had mentioned this system, and today was the first I ever saw of it and got the January 5.0 mag delivered yesterday. Kind of a toss up.
What is the toss up?

With that set up and a proper tune you'd have +320 to the wheels! For about $2500 inkluding tunes and dyno time!

·
Registered
261 Posts
kj how do you figure it was with a tune? wms claims 23 hp without a tune .do you hav info not privy to the rest of us? vynle.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
vynle said:
kj how do you figure it was with a tune? wms claims 23 hp without a tune .do you hav info not privy to the rest of us? vynle.
Well I guess I do as I hang out at MD... :rolleyes: But you can also see it in the test, all but AFM, K&N, and MRT was tested with tunes only. The 3 mentioned declined tune as that's part of their buisness strategy (to sell CAIs with no tune/er needed)... You can see that those 3 has a gain number in () from the MD STC tune... :winks

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
kj_cinci said:
What is the toss up?

With that set up and a proper tune you'd have +320 to the wheels! For about $2500 inkluding tunes and dyno time!
Toss up between JLT and C&L.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Waxed'05 GT said:
Toss up between JLT and C&L.
Great 'toss up' to have, they are both awesome! For now I'd go with the JLT until I know how much power the new C&L gives with stock exhaust. If you have the money go headers and the new PVC C&L... but then you have looks, some like the C&L alu bling bling and/or the painted JLTs...

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
kj_cinci said:
Great 'toss up' to have, they are both awesome! For now I'd go with the JLT until I know how much power the new C&L gives with stock exhaust. If you have the money go headers and the new PVC C&L... but then you have looks, some like the C&L alu bling bling and/or the painted JLTs...
Only prob I see with LT headers is having to change out other exhaust parts as well, which is somewhat costly. But I agree they are worth it.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Yup... not cheap... I'm sure you've read the Headers Install thread and know what's going on...

They are all just short of $1,500 with a catted X or H... The Kooks are a bit less for AFM members...

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
More Flow, More Go. :winks

·
Registered
294 Posts
Waxed'05 GT said:

I think the C&L has a much more integrated appearance and function than the JLT, but I think that the overall quality looks pretty much the same. I'm not that crazy about the hose clamp over the plactic piece on the C&L, but it's probably nothing to worry about.
The C&L looks factory (cept the open filter) but the JLT looks like you put a big ole' honkin' open element intake on.
Both should take future mods in stride.
Throw on the extra hundred dollars for the name brand of C&L and the JLT looks pretty sweet indeed.

disclamer: I just installed the JLT II with a SCT tune from Brenspeed and I now have a biased opinion.
ME LIKEY ... A LOT!!! :strut

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Waxed'05 GT said:
More Flow, More Go. :winks
Now you're thinking !!! :happyhapp

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
brnrkm,

Congratz! Nice pick!

They are both awesome! So is the MMR, MAC, and many others, the diff is too small to pick one...

Can't believe the good Doctors last advice about the heat shield... can't wait to the next time I see him! Who cares what his childs fever termometer shows around the filter on a NOT moving car (after seventyeleven dyno pulls) ?!!? Of course it's gonna be warmer if there is no shield! And the fan splash...!?! I think ram air is moving faster...?? And then with a box/shield that air would be more turbulent than the air from the car fan that hits the engine while moving... I get it, it's a dyno test but com'N think about where the car will be used (ON THE ROAD, MOVING!)and where the air will be moving... sorry, venting... I'll go to bed now... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
vynle said:
dont they put a fan in front of the car to simulate air flow of a moving car?vynle.
It's similiar, but I believe the main purpose of the fan is to help the engine from getting to hot.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts