Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey just bought a cam from v6power.net it is a regrind from tom Y for use on the stock springs and heads and want to know if I should get anything else to go with it before I put it in. here the specs
204 intake, 206 exhaust
.470 lift
115 lobe separation

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Hey just bought a cam from v6power.net it is a regrind from tom Y for use on the stock springs and heads and want to know if I should get anything else to go with it before I put it in. here the specs
204 intake, 206 exhaust
.470 lift
115 lobe separation
Depending on your mileage you should probably swap out most of your timing componets while your in there.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
you gonna put that in yourself? Id contact tom y and ask if anything is needed

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am going to take it to the same place I got my gears done at the place only specializes in mustangs.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
ok well that works! Good luck!!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I just got off the phone with Tom Y he said the cam is made for an 01-04 mustang with stock spring and said that was as mild as he can go and everything will be fine.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Well I just got off the phone with Tom Y he said the cam is made for an 01-04 mustang with stock spring and said that was as mild as he can go and everything will be fine.
Good - hope the install goes well for you! :bigthumbsup Let us know how it feels afterwards: should sound purrrrty :shigrin

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Thats good to hear!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow looks like I might have to hold off on the cam install just got off the phone with him and he said it would be 1000 to do the swap. I would try to do it myself but I don't have anyone around here that really know how to work on cars also and would not like to try this alone:frustrated:.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Man, that's high! A stock rebuild of the same motor is only $1500 here in the Dallas area and that includes removal and installation.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hear ya I would love to work on it myself but don't know anyone who has done this before most of the people aren't car savy. And this would be my first tear down of a motor.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Are there any engine rebuilders in the area that you can talk to about changing cams? As long as they now Fords and now what to do when going to non-factory cams or heads, you should be good.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was reading some of the camshaft instructions over at 3.8mustangs.com and it pretty much shows you pretty much braking the block down do you have is it required to brake it down.

·
Registered
227 Posts
On non-roller cammed engines, it's a must. I don't know on roller engines. I don't know if our lifters are prevented from dropping if the cam is removed. Did they mention anything about degreeing the cam?

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Cam can be done in a drive way...

Take the rockers off and pull the push rods out
Take the front cover off, crank pulley, (maybe ps pulley)
Put something in the chain tensioner , pull timing set

Prob forgetting a few random bolts but you will see them when you take it all off. Slide cam out, lube new cam, slide in , reverse process, start car, idle for 20min at 3k rpm

And that is very mild for a cam...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so I should be able to do it that way right. Tom Y said this is for stock everything. I really would like to do it myself I love to work on my car and learn as I go but wanted to see if this is something advance or just take time and do it I should be fine.

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
so I should be able to do it that way right. Tom Y said this is for stock everything. I really would like to do it myself I love to work on my car and learn as I go but wanted to see if this is something advance or just take time and do it I should be fine.
It is not a big job, but you have to pull the front of the motor as well as the intakes. You have to pull the balancer, water pump, TC cover and all accessories. It just takes time more than anything. Be sure to label everything in cups. Soak your lifters in oil while you are preparing the cam install. I would purchase a new timing set because you need to remove it anyway. Make sure the balance shaft is properly installed in time with the cam. The cam sensor shaft install is easy if you read my directions in the talk area.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey guys I appreaciate all the help but I am going to hold off on the cam install I think I am going to get a set of heads as well and just do a H/C install all at once so I don't have to strip the car down again. Figure if I am going to do this do it right.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Alright Change 2 :gringreen its going to be a nice weekend got nothing to do just got my cam and going to install my U/D pulleys got my hayens manual and you guys. I think I am going to go for it this weekend. I looks pretty straight up forward and since its uses the stock springs and whatnot this should be simple. I got the timing set with gaskets, chain and gears. :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.