Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new 2005 Mustang GT. Two days ago I got sideswiped by some idiot who blew a light. Now I've got to deal with getting 7 grand worth of repairs to my car which has less than 1500 miles on it. Among the many repairs they are recommending a frame pull. The other stuff I'm not so worried about but the frame damage freaks me out. I have my car with a Ford dealer collision center and I'm sure they are as well prepared to do the work as anyone but how much risk is there that the stories people say are true, ie that the car will never be the same? Also, how much does this devalue the car. I feel like my new car is potentially ruined for good. Anyone have any insight from experience about this? Feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I hope you have adequate insurance coverage to pay the bill. There is nothing you can do to keep the devaluation of your vehicle from occuring except to NEVER put it on the street.

Unfortunately, these are the issues everyone has to deal with upon their first crunch. Yes, it should decrease the value of the vehicle. Given a choice, which used vehicle would you pick (all other things being equal)....the one without a wreck, or the one that has been repaired from a wreck. Your "new car" is no longer a virgin. Welcome to the real world of used cars; this happens to most of us at least once in our driving careers, some (like me) once or more per vehicle.

There is nothing stopping you from sueing the idiot for the difference in "new" verses "repaired" street value....if you could put a number to that. Good luck with that, though.

Frame damage is a serious issue. Better make sure you are using a reputable shop, or you'll never be right. If they do a first rate job, you may never know the difference until you go to sell it.

As to the actual loss in street value after the repairs are performed; that depends on more variables than what you have available. How many '05 GT used vehicles are in your area? How many '05 GT used car buyers are in your area? That ratio is vital in computing net worth of any vehicle. Your vehicle will be worth more the day it leaves the repair shop than ANY day after that for the rest of your life, unless it becomes a RARE, UNIQUE vehicle in the mean time.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Pain

I feel your pain - my 02 (4 years old and under 20,000 miles - wins first places at car shows, turns heads) convertible has been hit 3 times, twice in one week (!). I was sitting on an exit ramp when a wrecker pulling a wrecked car ran into my rear bumper - went to a body shop the next day for an estimate - went to lunch at McDonald's afterwards, sitting in the drive through, and lady backs into passenger side quarter! When I went back to the body shop and asked for another estimate 30 minutes later, they thought I was joking...

Car looks good again, now, but I definitely got a check each time for "devaluation" of the car (10% the first hit, just a token amount the second hit, and 5% the third). I've driven garbage cars for decades and never a scratch - get a nice car, and it seems like an idiot magnet.

If you have frame damage, watch your tire wear pattern after the repair. If you start going through tires, its a clear sign all is not well. Dump the car and go on with your life.

I'm currently lusting after the new Shelby - maybe we can both get one?

Best of luck - the dealer should be able to make it all right again, but definitely demand depreciation money from the insurance company (some states require this, others don't address the issue, but its only fair regardless).

tripleblack

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.